Need some advice on difficult dogs!

weepingsinner7

I'm a relatively new groomer, I've been grooming for about 7 months and have had a business set up for the last two months where I groom in the clients homes.

Today I groomed a really badly matted 12 year old yorkie who hated the clippers and bit me every time I tried to do anything. The knots were so close to the skin and I tried using scissors carefully so as not to get the skin but the poor boy was so grumpy that I could barely get near him without him snarling and biting me! I couldn't finish the groom and he looked a state afterwards as I could only get bout half the matts out.

After the 'groom', the owner mentioned that it usually takes two groomers and a muzzle which was super helpful to me after that. Overall, she was very happy with what I'd done and paid me the full amount even after I said no charge due to how bad he looked.

I was wondering if there's any way to deal with dogs like this as I'm by myself and not completely confident in my abilities. I just couldn't keep him still and was so scared of knicking him! Thanks in advance x

@weepingsinner7 A groomers helper, and a full set of muzzles. The GroomersHelper is pretty useful, it’s a loop and clamp set that connects to the grooming arm. It’s not perfect, but it helps keep snappy dogs pointing in the right direction. An e-collar is also useful to redirect biters.

When dealing with severely matted, I don’t bother trying to save length on the coat. Longest blade that easily goes under mats, typically a 5 or less, and I usually do a 7 just because it’s a nice cut without a lot of extra effort coat to scissor or blend in grumpy dogs.

@baotoan Thank you, I'll definitely look into that and after today, muzzles are the first thing on my shopping list!
On the coat, I went straight in with a 7f, although the legs were so knotted, that's where the problems started and he started getting nasty, so had to to switch to scissors.
Thanks for the advice!

@jasonvr It was a last case scenario as he hated the clippers and wouldnt let me anywhere near his legs even with a 10/15! He didn't freak out as much with the scissors and I've never been so careful in my life 😥

@weepingsinner7 Hi! I am curious...did you use regular corded clippers for the legs? I have found that lots of dogs that will not tolerate my Andis Excel clippers on their legs do much better with a cordless Bravura clipper because it is quieter. I have a set of stainless steel comb attachments for it, or just use the blade of they are super matted.

@surrenderingtogod Hi! Yes I use andis superspeed, cordless ones are so expensive but I'm hoping to save enough money for some soon!

Thanks, I'll definitely look into that brand, the andis ones are pretty noisy and it's hard to manoeuvre with that cord in the way

@weepingsinner7 I am a new-ish dog groomer too, been grooming three years but, have been in the animal business all of my life. My mother owned a pet shop when I was younger and is a very seasoned groomer. From what I have learned and experienced it is not worth it if the animal is snarling and biting and extremely matted. Restraints and an extra helper CAN help but, in a situation whenever the dog is older and matted there are many possibilities of problems arising. It’s always better to be safe rather than sorry. I’d come up with a new game plan, let the owner know where you stand in the situation meaning if it can’t get done by you it can’t get done and recommend sedation grooming.

@imagebeastmarkbeast Yeah I think you're definitely right, I do need to learn when to just say no. My problem was that I was halfway through the shave before he started to turn nasty so his body was good but his legs and head were so patchy! I mentioned to the owner that I don't think I'd be able to tackle him again by myself haha

@weepingsinner7 It’s absolutely irresponsible to give a difficult dog to someone new to grooming. It will usually make the dog’s behavior worse, and it’s not your fault. You just aren’t skilled enough to deal with it yet.

Asking online may help you a little, but you need a mentor to be teaching you in person. Quite frankly, you need a mentor right at hand for your first two years, and you still need skilled help on occasion for years after that. Are you working alone?

@theinvisibleman30 Yes I am working alone. Unfortunately I don't even know where I'd find a mentor who would help me for free! I am learning a lot on the job, I just need to build my confidence and know when to say no to clients. I also have people who are a phone call away to give advice so that's not so bad!

@weepingsinner7 That’s a tough spot to be in, but I get it. You have to work! It sounds like you have people you can call in a pinch, but let me know if you’d like one more and I’ll PM you my cell number.

I would help you for free :). If you’re in palm beach county Florida let me know haha