Need help with our dog on walks (x-post r/dogtraining)

@mollym029 true, but if your dog is pulling you all over the place like you said, then the martingale probably wouldn’t do you any good. it’ll just put undistributed pressure on the dogs trachea.

@mollym029 Late reply, maybe you’ve already found a solution and if so great! Just wanted to throw in that after a few months of difficulty with my rescue pup I said “why the heck not” and bought this super gimmicky looking “games based training” system that’s helped quite a lot. It’s called sexier than a squirrel (STAS), it’s by a British dog training company, and the website sounds/feels like a scam but I swear it’s helping more than almost anything else we’ve tried. The basic idea is to train through games that make you and food more exciting to your dog (so that you’re sexier than a squirrel to them), but also teach impulse control, disengagement, calm, walk manners, etc. STAS is kinda just the intro course this company uses to get you to buy in to all their other training, but you get lifetime access to 30 games (via online vids) and just those have been plenty for us so far, don’t even think we’ll need the others. They also have a podcast but honestly it’s mostly a long ad for their training, bit annoying. But STAS is $35, and even if you decide to try their other courses (like they have one focused on walks) they’re $150ish also for lifetime access, so it’s still generally cheaper than in person training. It sounds like a lot of your pups problems are not finding you as engaging as their environment and also struggling to disengage and be calm, and STAS has made a noticeable difference with my dog with those things and we’ve only done about half the games (for about 4 weeks now, she’s a real slow learner 😂). It’s helped me to have some structure to follow (though maybe you do better leading your own training than I did), and I can now get her to engage pretty well even with just kibble (which she would barely eat just normally out of the bowl before). I sound like a weird advertisement, swear it’s not a MLM thing haha, but I was starting to have a really hard time with my dog and feel hopeless and this has helped a lot, so now I enjoy sharing it. Hope it or at least something else helps!

Back