Need help with first time dog mama

ashlyn111

My dog Luna was doing amazing with her 7 puppies for the first two weeks, wouldn’t leave their side for more than an hour, feeding and cleaning almost constantly. It seems now that the puppies are 2 weeks old, eyes open and walking that she does not want to feed them more than 5 minutes every 4-6 hours. I have some puppy formula and bottles being delivered tomorrow but I’m really concerned about this.
google says I can start puppy gruel 3-4 weeks. Is it normal for a dog mama to try weaning so early? How often should I supplement with the puppy formula until it’s time to start weaning and making their puppy gruel? Thank you!

@ashlyn111 When puppies begin to get older they become more efficient with nursing the puppies and they don't need to be nursed 24/7. If you're weighing puppies (you should be) once a day and they're gaining weight, don't worry about how long she's in there.

@ashlyn111 Are you weighing the puppies daily? If they are gaining well, no need to supplement. As they get older, they don't nurse as often or for as long.

What does your bitch's breeder say?

@ashlyn111 Once eyes open, puppies are stronger more efficient nursers. Dams spend time away to replenish milk supply. Puppies drain them quickly. If they are gaining weight, no need for concern.

Back