Need help: Training dogs to stop going out of the yard and also chasing cars

tmzone123

Hello fellow redditors, I need your help! I currently moved from an apartment with a small patio to a house with a big yard in the countryside. My neighbors are close and the only fences between the properties are bushes.

I have two boxer dogs, one is an 8 m/o [M] and the other is 7 y/o [F].
They are currently loving running around the house, going on sniffing adventures and such, but, every time a car, motorcycle, bike, pedestrians, pass by the house, they get very protective and start barking and chasing them. They are not violent and don't bite, if I call them they listen and come to me. The problem is the neighbors are pissed and want them to stop.

I've trained them with the basics, "come" "stay" "here" "out" "in" etc. When we lived in the apartment they knew their boundaries but in this new place I can't catch them in the act so I can scold them and understand that they are acting wrong.

So, any tips/guides/links so I look up, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks!

@tmzone123 Stop leaving them outside unattended. They need to be confined to your property, for both their own safety and the safety of other people/dogs/animals. Sure you may think they're "friendly" but that behavior is rude at best and they will eventually end up getting hurt - no one deserves to be harassed by chasing, barking dogs and someone, either another dog or a human, will end up defending themselves (rightfully so). The problem isn't that neighbors are pissed, the problem is that you're being an irresponsible dog owner. Go outside with them, buy fencing, or use a tie out.

@ncm Yeah those are some of the options, I want to know if anyone over here has some tips on training to how properly correct this behavior.

But yeah I think I'm going to start tying them up.

@tmzone123 Tethers really shouldn't be used unsupervised either. They can be dangerous especially for drive-y dogs, or dogs with low impulse control (given that they are car chasing, they are lacking in that regard).

You need to Take them out on long lines and work on boundary training. For the car chasing, I'd work on look at that again, on a long line. And then, I'd work on general impulse control: 1, 2 and 3.

@tmzone123 This guy is getting down voted but he has a point. Your dogs are gonna get hit by a car or shot. Stop letting them go outside off lead and unsupervised. A fence is the most passive and most reliable way to ensure your dogs are contained and safe.

@onochie yeah fence is something that is going to get done eventually, but it isn't something I can afford right now, I just moved in, so I will get it eventually. In the meantime I want to train them, that's why I asked this.

Back