My rescue puppy seems to have nightmares every night and I don’t know why. He was taken into a no kill shelter at 9 weeks as a stray

fling85

I adopted my rescue, Odin, 12/12/18. He was 4 months old; roughly. He’s different than what I’m used to, but honestly, perfect. I wouldn’t trade him for the world. He has a great home life. We go hiking every week. He’s been to the snow. He will go to the beach during the summer. We have a blast together. He’s also my service dog in training. He’s doing great in that, too.

Ever since I rescued Odin, he’s had nightmares. Every night. No matter what I do. I even tried using doggy CBD oil thinking that he just had some anxiety or something. He makes little yelps or growls. I pet him and tell him that I’m there and kiss his snout. I don’t know. It’s weird. I know I don’t know his past, but I don’t want my dog to have nightmares every night.

Side note: They don’t prevent him from getting enough sleep. It’s only one nightmare a night usually.

@fling85 My dog regularly does this but I think he's just dreaming. Does yours bark/growl much while awake-- playing with you or toys, or other dogs, or doing things he enjoys/has fun with? Mine is very vocal when chasing animals out in the fields, and while we're doing play/training but is otherwise a pretty calm guy. He only really started having vocal dreams after he had settled in and become comfortable with us and our home, and after we had taught him that it was ok to be exuberant and loud if he was having fun. So I try to think of it as a fun dream. Dogs tend to be pretty happy creatures in general so I try to be pretty positive in regards to what he's thinking about/dreaming of. :)

@fling85 When my pupper sleeps, she growls, howls, barks, whines, etc. Sometimes, but rarely, it seems like shes having a nightmare. She's the quietest puppy when she's awake though. Like, I've only seen her growl when playing tug, I have to really excite her to get her to bark, and I have never been abke to get her to howl. I just think it's normal, puppies have dreams like we do, so it's only natural that puppies get nightmares like we do too.

On a side note, one time I caught her sleep eating. She was laying down, belly up, drooling but not actually eating anything, but her mouth was moving as if she was eating and licking her chops every now and again. I think she was dreaming of her three favorite foods: carrots, ice cubes, and bacon.

Back