My puppy doesn’t like kibble by itself. What else is good for him?

sadier

Hey yall! I have an 11 month old Lab/Husky mix. When we first got him he was a stray and he ate anything we placed in front of him. Now he will barely eat his kibble when there’s nothing else mixed in. My mom got us some of the precooked chicken cans and I added one for breakfast and he ate it. So I guess what I’m asking is what are healthier things to feed him that will give him the nutrients to grow?

@sadier It’s really sad but I’m no longer letting my dog (husky) control me we used to change up his foods every other meal but I realized that this is a bad tactic and I no longer give my dog options eventually he eats the food and then I train him and reward him and then he gets more food and we give him other options too but first of all, the food is good enough he ate it as a stray ok, now he’s a bit spoiled and even though he’s growing he will eat it. My rescue was the exact same and I went through everything from kibble to raw to cooked to prepackaged cooked to freeze dried etc etc toppers, enhancers etc ok the point is I fixed his eating disorder by being kinder to me and he learned fast, they’re very smart ok don’t underestimate him, be ok with him suffering for a few days max he’ll get over himself, once he finishes his food give him fun foods to eat and he’ll understand he needs to finish his food to get treats

@ruining Yes, exactly this. Unless there are special needs the dog is playing into you. That’s how dogs have evolved and they can be great at this tactic.

@taliajo My dog was very underweight also and he never wanted the best of the best foods ok, this is because he was used to crap foods so he wouldn’t eat his healthy foods. I stopped this right away but I learned after many painful months of stress and worry, he never helped himself because I kept changing his diet all the time and nothing ever stayed because he was used to me changing it. They need to really be ok with not getting a few meals here especially huskies they can go very many days without food and water. Once my boy didn’t eat for 6 days I freaked out took him to the vet and he ate a treat there lol. He’s so bad sometimes but anyways after an expensive vet bill he just ate the normal food and then I started giving him treats upon finishing his foods.

@ruining Yeah my dad is a dog handler and if he has a dog the first night he skips their dinner. Some may call it cruel but it makes them hungry for breakfast and not picky. They won’t die skipping a meal. My sister has a 16 year little old senior dog. I think we have 6 months left with her. My sister was making their dog food from scratch with vitamin packets to add. She was doing well with that for awhile. Since she’s gotten sick she now wants my pit bulls basic ass kibble left over from a visit “hand fed” to her 😂 but at this point in her senior days they are willing to indulge. I just find it hilarious that it’s this basic kibble she has decided to be a princess about. lol

@taliajo I used to have to hand feed my dog his kibble lol but now he eats happily on his own he really made me his B….. ok no more. Jokes ok jokes, these smarties really make you learn how to respect them lol.

@ruining We are their servants 😂 yeah this senior dog is a brat and we can’t help but laugh at how she’s gamed the system in her old age. But like I said, let her last months be indulgent. Different from every day regular dogs that are healthy.

@ruining My Doberman is on an HA diet, she has a sensitive stomach, and she needs to eat to take her meds (she's 12 she's an old lady) so if she isn't eating I give her a spoon or two of the canned version of her kibble, usually kick starts her into eating.

@sadier Plain Greek yogurt (no flavors or sweeteners), pureed pumpkin (again no flavors or sweeteners), we make toppers with boiled chicken, pea, and carrots. We pour mostly the water from boiling it and a little bit of the veggies/meat and my dogs will eat their full bowls every time.

@sadier Putting some water in the kibble can help because it makes the kibble softer and more smelly to them. I top off my pup's meals with a spoonful of wet tripe, water and some treats.

@aliwhit yeah my dog always gets a little splash of hot water in his kibble, then I shake it around to make "gravy." he won't eat his breakfast unless I "cook" it but he'll almost always gobble his (exact same) dinner without it being "cooked." I don't get the thought process as id expect him to be much hungrier and therefore less demanding in the morning.

@sadier Our rescue was the exact same. Initially ate anything we put in front of her, then started getting picky. What we do now is take her liver treats and grind them up in the food processor and sprinkle it on top of her kibble as a topper. Works like a charm. Now she eats her kibble.

@sadier At 11 months old his metabolism is slowing down and he’s probably starting to self regulate. Don’t add anything to his food unless you want him to be overweight. If you’re concerned if he is too skinny you can refer to a body condition score chart for dogs or ask your veterinarian.

@sadier My cattle dog started getting picky when we brought our puppy home. Im assuming she was jealous of the puppy chow he was getting.

I started mixing a teaspoon of wet dog food into her kibble and shes generally more excited to eat it now.

@sadier Kibble is dry and boring. Could you imagine if you had to eat dry cereal for every meal for the rest of your life? It's also an ultra-processed food. What's worn g with adding a little warm water and some fresh toppings? Why is that even a problem?