My Pug won’t stop shitting and peeing in the house

@mnewby36 Try pottie pads and positive reinforcement and where he has been going potty needs steam cleaned and deoderized realy good pay a pro to do it they have stuff we can't get. I put the pads near door and doggy door I put treats near the dog door on the outside to get the dog I had to follow his tummy out the doggy door figured once he was out maybe he'd just decide to go .everytime he did go potty outside I made a big happy deal about it and it worked on a dog that had decided he was not going outside to potty .....now no problems

@mnewby36 I agree with the other comments but would add if ur free feeding him that can also contribute to irregular bowel movements. Consistent feed time means consistent poop time

@rdxn1 i’ll try this. i have 2 other dogs and have had 6 i’ve had him for about a year now. other dogs in the past and ive always been able to train them regardless of whether or not i rescued them as a puppy or adult. i also have a dogrun with a doggy door and i clean it every other week, he knows how to use this but refuses to. he also gives no signs he needs to go out, he just goes in one of his 4 favorite spots. he knows he’s not supposed to go inside and he does it anyways which makes me think it’s out of spite or a medical issue. i might get him a sweater because it’s worse in the winter when it’s really cold out

@umm113 stupid, maybe. spiteful, yea. but i treat him well and shower him with affection and play with him. i wouldn’t mind getting rid of him but he belongs to my mom who is putting in a lot of effort to correct his behavior problems and loves him and also showers him with affection. he’s also gone a long way since we got him. he used to bite and hide from everyone. now he doesn’t bite and mostly hangs out in my moms lap, but will run from other people. the punishing was only a handful of times at the very beginning and we haven’t done that in almost a year

@mnewby36 Is this a troll post?
You have told me in this post that the dog was neglected, abused, and is also grieving (dogs do that) and now in a new home.
Ok; so, firstly, how long have you had the dog? It takes time to settle.
When the dog has an accident DO NOT punish him, take them outside and gently put them on the grass.
See if there is a pattern, stay with the dog until they poop.
Try to make a routine.
I mean 6 times a day isn’t that many, if you said
- first thing in the morning, last thing at night
- after breakfast and dinner
That’s 4 times already.
I suggest looking at dog / puppy toilet training guides and being patient, he’s been through a lot x

@mnewby36 If he poops when he comes back from a walk you could try keeping him on leash in the house for 5-10 mins then taking him to the backyard. You might have to do it a few times. If he goes out side have a treat party. Lots of love/treats/toys whatever floats his boat

@mnewby36 I already see you mentioned getting him a sweater. I think that's a great idea! They sell real grass pads that I've used on a temporary basis for potty training. That could be worth considering. I'd try to physically block off his preferred places to go potty indoors (unless you put a potty pad there for training). One of my dogs would poop in the house when first learning and had a preferred spot. We closed off that spot and it helped a ton. Keeping him confined to a smaller area (anything from a crate to a room to even a few rooms) might help while he's adjusting. Ideally you'll want eyes in him at pretty much all times so if you see that "purposeful sniff" or other cues you can get him outside or to a potty pad. I'd strongly advise against telling him bad dog or putting his face near/in it. With him being 2 years old it'll be harder than with a new pup. Giving treats and praise for going outside is good too. I found tips in the Puppies for Dummies book helpful. 5 times per day is a lot so maybe the vet would have an idea about different food or something. Hope these things help!

@sally1b2b i think pugs are just shitters cause of mass/volume ratio. they’re just very dense and can’t hold their waste due to immoral selective breeding. yea i stopped the negative enforcement method, and the house is too big to block things off really. at this point we’re talking him out about once every other hour but he really just doesnt wanna go outside. so i’ll try the sweater and an indoor leash. i appreciate the advice

@mnewby36 Not sure if his paws seem cold, but if they're bothering him mushers wax might help. I didn't even think about the breeding issues with pugs! It's tough you have a dog you didn't get to pick out. Glad you're trying to accommodate him anyways.

@mnewby36 Housebreaking issues are up to the owner to solve. I’ve always been able to HB mine as puppies within a couple weeks. However! I’ve had one pup, now a one year old, that was a big challenge. I tried so many different things. I realized he was distracted when I let him out to potty with the other dogs so he played instead of peeing/pooping, then he’d come back in and do his business. So, I 1) took him out separately and gave him “go potty” command. 2) kept him on a leash with me while in the house until finally HB.

Consistency is key. Have a plan and stick to it and don’t ever get mad at them. Good luck.

Back