My new rescue dog keeps humping her beds

johngthomas

I have a new rescue dog, she’s been home for a week. She has a crate with a bed and blanket in it, and I had another bed for my office/living room. She’s fine with the crate bed, but every time I put the bed down she immediately grabs it and humps it and bites it. So I’ve been taking them away and putting them in the closet. And then sometimes when she’s playing she’ll grab a pillow or blanket off the couch and do the same thing so I’m taking them away from her.

She just got spayed 3 weeks ago, her foster said she would do this occasionally but not at the amount I’m seeing her do it with me at my house.

I just want her to lay on the floor next to me while I’m working and be comfortable, but then she even started grabbing my rug under my desk and chewing it so I took my rug out as well. She’s got toys and chews and bully sticks so I’m not sure what else to do. I don’t wanna yell at her to stop it but I’m having difficulty setting boundaries

@johngthomas Hmm - a 1 year old needs a lot of exercise. Most people do the long walk in the evening, I found the morning better. It sucks to get up 45 min early but I see a huge difference in 10 month old. She drives us crazy if she’s not tuckered outbe befor breakfast.

The other point is it can take a dog 3 weeks before their comfortable.

Also get a trainer if you haven't. Training will create a bond and set boundaries. You can start now Zak Geroge is amazing.

@accepthiswill I did reach out to a trainer! Hoping to have our first session next week, she seems to be afraid and overwhelmed outside where I live so she doesn’t want to walk very far from the house even with high value treats so I think that’s contributing to the issue or else I’d be walking her closer to two miles a day

@johngthomas Funny our puppy who came from the country was like that too. City living takes time. For about 2 weeks we had to driver her to the park for walks.

With a rescue there could be some underlying trauma that may take time to overcome.

You sound like an amazing dog parent. Give her time and love!!!

@julesgules Yeah her foster had done one training session with her before we brought her home and had already started working with her on stuff so we continued to do so as soon as she came home. Not so intensely the first few days as she was quite overwhelmed but consistently every day we are

@johngthomas Good. Keep at it. She is still very new to you and I think with success in training she will get more confidence.

Definitely don't yell, she is most likely doing it because of stress and stress/fear is probably not something you will correct (or negatively reinforce), but rather build up comfort and confidence.

As I said, stick to training with success, lots of praise. On walks, try to keep it in a small place. I would rather stay in one place for 30 minutes than try to constantly push her boundaries too much. Of course, she should expand her area of comfort, but do it lightly and make sure she is comfortable in the vicinity of her home and then expand.

I think it may take some time so you need patience and remember to stay confident yourself. She needs you for guidance.

To help build your relationship you could sleep with her on a mattress on the floor for a week or two.

@johngthomas Perhaps give her one blanket or cushion so that she can do what she wants with it. She could be self-soothing or trying to dominate "something" in reaction to all the changes in her life.

Ignore her antics with it and see if the behaviour reduces as she gets used to her new home and starts to bond with you..

Reward more sedate behaviour.

@johngthomas Normal. I had a fixed female Boston terrier that would do that to her bed, toys, etc. She would beat the crap out of her toys and then hump them into submission. She had been fixed since she was 6 months old.

I grew up with a spayed poodle that did the same thing.

@johngthomas Our rescue does it to her pillow. Usually when she has extra energy or she feels she’s being ignored. Can get pretty violent. lol. Been told for some dogs it’s normal.

@johngthomas She is stressed out and this is how she copes. Fairly common with rescue dogs being in a new environment. Give her a nice quiet place she can retreat to when she needs, and let her acclimate to your home. It’s not a sexual behavior so let her have the items if it’s safe to do so.

Most likely she’ll calm down over time. Look into the 3 days-3 weeks-3 months timeline for dogs.

@johngthomas I find that breeds with her body shape can’t reach their genitals to clean themselves. Perhaps she’s itchy. She also could be anxious and under stimulated. What does she get for exercise and enrichment?

Back