My male dog won’t breed with my female

justdana

Hi, I am new to dog breeding and need some help/advice. I have one male Boston terrier and a female Boston terrier, my female is on day 11 of her heat but my male doesn’t seem quite interested, he whines and sometimes goes to jump on her back to hump her. My female is ready because she keeps sticking her self in his face and she arches her back, but he only really licks and walks away. When he does hump her it’s only for a couple of seconds before he gets off. Any advice would be helpful really. They are both around the same age F 2, M 1 1/2.

@justdana your male is too young to be bred. id be glad you're getting extra time to research breeding ethically before you end up with a byb litter of an already common breed. crate and rotate!

@justdana BYB is the term for a Back Yard Breeder. Typically, an inexperienced person that is not following recommendations for ethical breeding practices, or a person breeding their dogs for relatively quick profit and failing to test properly.

A number of heath tests that should be performed prior to selecting breeding pairs are only considered accurate if the dog is 2 years of age or older.

@justdana that's not what health testing refers to. it refers to checking things like their elbows, hips, heart, etc through OFA to ensure they won't be passing on things like hip dysplasia or dilated cardiomyopathy. it's not an annual vet check, it's an in depth check with x-rays, ultrasounds et cetera.

look into your breed club's recommended and required health testing.

@mimi94 Yes you need spend time on the Boston terrier club of America website finding out all that is required.They will have a list but also unless you’re an expert in Boston terrier structure, you need to attend an AKC confirmation show and have your sire and bitch independently judged to confirm they are structurally, correct in order to breed them.

@justdana Typically they need to be old enough to have all the breed recommended tests done (OFA testing cannot be done until age 2 for example). You should look at the breed clubs website, they will have information on ethical breeding practices for the specific breed.

@justdana you're making a lot of mistakes and are very uneducated on what dog breeding entails. i recommend actually doing research on ethical breeding, looking into your breed club for information, joining breeder facebook groups, and getting a mentor if you truly want to breed to better the breed (not make a quick buck).

breeding is NOT as simple as slapping two dogs together and selling whatever puppies survive. your bitch can have significant complications during pregnancy and whelping, can contract pyometra or even die. she needs excess calcium and other supplements to keep her healthy during gestation and weaning. the puppies need to be raised properly with ENS / puppy culture and watched literally round the clock for the first couple weeks to watch for failure to thrive, and then if you aren't providing support for the buyers throughout the lifetime of the dog that you sell them - you're failing the dogs that you intentionally brought into the world and potentially contributing to shelter populations since you bred carelessly and may wind up leaving those dogs with behavioral and medical issues that affect their QOL.

your male is too young to breed, your dogs are not titled or OFA health tested, and your male is clearly having performance issues. whether it's his structure that's messed up and he physically can't mate (hip dysplasia is a possibility here .. where his hip joint is literally not in a socket.) or just doesn't have the drive to. both are significant concerns.

stop attempting to breed them this heat and i wouldn't attempt again until you've actually done the research & your dog is 2 years old. especially with this breed, which is not one to fuck around with with health concerns.

@justdana I wish I had that problem. My Dobe pup is in her first heat and my 2yo Jagdterrier is driving me CRAZY!! Not trying to make Jagermans much to his dismay.

I do not and will never breed any of my dogs. Leave that to the experts. Mine are intact for health reasons.

I suggest you really consider why you feel the need to do this. Unless your dogs are truly exceptional, fully healthy tested for whatever the breed requires and titled in some capacity you’ve no business breeding them. If you do, you are just another BYB and we do not need anymore of those dogs. They are already filling the shelters and euthanasia lists.

@imalamb i love jagdterriers:") how is it owning one? i've owned a rat terrier and schnauzer in the past and miss the terrier / ratter antics, but not sure what breed i'd like to go with in future.

@mimi94 They are amazing dogs however they are a FULL TIME job!

I’ve also owned Wire Fox Terrier, currently have a Mountain Cur/Rat Terrier cross too. Easy dogs in comparison.

Jags make other high drive breeds appear lazy. They have zero self preservation and truly bottomless drive. You have to work them. Like have to. Mine have all been dog selective to aggressive.

If you want a non stop fun dog that can shine in any dog sport they are great. I’ve seen them excel in everything from IPO to dock diving. And obviously they are the most versatile hunting dog on the planet.

My current male is exceptionally smart. Surprisingly so. I’ve also always had Dobes and he’s on that level. He’s really trainable. Likes to please. Is less independent and has a natural check in. He’s extremely funny, cute and cuddly as well.

For a serious dog person I think they are a great choice. For the casual pet owner they are a terrible choice.

I can’t edit on this but wanted to add you need to remember the Jagdterrier isn’t a ratter. They certainly can be but they were bred to hunt bear, bore etc. They can do upland bird, water fowl, blood track and I’ve the seen them used on big cats. That unique skill set is what makes them a difficult dog to own as a pet. I’ve had JRT people say “oh he/she is just like my Jack”! Not the case and worth clarifying. As a horse person I’ve known endless Jacks and I love them too but they are much easier dogs.

@imalamb this is definitely very important info i wasn't aware of before! from the little I knew about them I thought they were ratters / small game hunters, but big cat hunting def puts them out of my comfort range for handling right now - i mainly train service dog and gundog work, currently only own my service dog. but a dog selective to aggressive dog is def not in my capability right now with the other dogs I need to work with. thank you so so much for all that information:)

@imalamb Oh, man. I'm curious about the personality of your Mountain Cur/Rat Terrier cross! We lost our Miniature Schnauzer/mountain cur mix in November and I'm at a total loss as to what the right 'next dog' is because we obviously loved him so much. Not that I'll find another just like him, but hard to know which traits belong to which and which are just his quirks.

@justdana I absolutely suggest researching responsible breeding practices. Check out the Functional Dog Collaborative. They have a website, podcast, and Facebook Group filled with information.

It takes a lot to breed ethically. Research different types of testing to make sure the dogs are healthy, how structure is also important to health, how important temperment is, and why it is important to take back any puppy you produce if need be. We do not contribute to the shelter population.

Back