My dog just won’t run out of energy

chonnette

Have a golden retriever-he is the sweetest couch potato who will walk happily beside you on walks.
Bought another golden retriever-absolute suck that needs 100 percent of your attention and love 24/7 or gets upset and just doesn’t run out of energy and seems to never gain any weight on him.

I adore this dog, he’s young (2 years) and not fixed (Will be fixed asap) but absolutely the sweetest thing ever, but I can’t get him to run out of energy. I took him on a hour long bike ride going at least 15mph or faster with uphills and he still had loads of energy afterwards. Any tips?

@chonnette Some dogs need to be taught an off switch. Look into Karen Pryor's (oops, I think I meant Karen Overall? Anyway, there are many) Relaxation Protocol. In addition, while all dogs need appropriate physical stimulation, providing excess exercise will only continue to improve their stamina. Consider additional training and other mental stimulation vs. only exercise.

@chonnette I can definetly confirm that some dogs need to be taught how to relax. Mine was like yours as a pup and constantly demanded our attention. I had to leash him inside the house and ignore him, so he finally settled and slept for once. Because that was something he just didn't do on his own.

@jacobdm As I said, I had to put him on a leash by his bed and ignored him. He could not reach anything he could use for entertainment. He definetly complained in the beginning, but after a while he just got in his bed and began to sleep. I also always praised him with a whisper and gave him some slow head scratches. I did this many many times, until he began to relax on his own. Now he just chills inside the house. This would probably also work without a leash and with a crate that doesn't have any distractions inside.

Back