My dog just attacked another dog

maryeldermusic

As the title said...

For a bit of context: My son was walking her as he does three times a day. We live in an area where everyone has a dog. Today he took her out with her collar which is a bit loose, rather than the harness, as he does usually.

So he and the dog took a public grass path near the house, and encountered a neighbor and her chihuahua. My dog escaped her collar and attacked the little dog, Left her with a wound around the eye that needs stitching.

She - my dog, 7, cocker spaniel, y/o - is always aggressive around dogs, but we keep her away from them, and that's normally enough. But now it's a word going around the neighborhood, and it's not the first time it happens - though it was never this serious.

I'm so embarrassed and upset about my dog's behavior that I am considering putting her to sleep. Am I overreacting? (BTW I of course talked to the neighbors and apologized, plus I asked them to give me the vet bill).

@maryeldermusic I'm so sorry this has happened! Calm down! ❤️ As a dog parent, whose dog has been the aggressor. Assess the situation. This is NOT an automatic death sentence for your dog. You've done the right things so far. Now, stand back and assess your new situation. Think of what's best for the dog. Not for yourselves. My dogs and I have reaped the benefits of dog training classes. One training class was called, BOTH ENDS OF THE LEASH. It's true. Good luck. 😊

@maryeldermusic If your dog is aggressive towards other dogs and is known to be, then your son should not be walking the dog if he cannot control the dog. You need to be a responsible dog owner. That means if the dog goes out of the house it needs to be in control of the owner.

Harnesses a dog can still get out of. Look at a martingale dog collar.

@torrako I second a martingale collar! Also consider muzzle training her, or seeing a trainer or taking an online class to help manage that reactivity.

If your kid can’t control the dog, or won’t walk her safely, he shouldn’t be walking her period.

@maryeldermusic Front-clip no pull harness has been a game changer for our reactive dog (who also once broke free of her collar). You can also opt to walk her with both a collar and harness clipped separately for extra assurance. And of course, watching for triggers and her signals, to avoid getting close enough to the trigger as much as possible to avoid her reaction and keep her under threshold. Good luck!!

@maryeldermusic This is unfortunate that it’s come to this. It isn’t the first time it happens? What have you all tried to remedy the situation after the first time? I’m trying to understand why she had a loose collar instead of a harness

@maryeldermusic I have a dog that tends to be aggressive towards other dogs. After years of walking her I’ve learned her patterns and tendencies. I keep a good amount of distance from others with dogs and I let people know of her behavior. I’ve also come to realize she’s trying to protect me. I’ve had several instances where people don’t have their dog on a leash and when they run up she puts herself between me and the other dog and puts them in their place. In my mind that’s on the others if they’re allowing their dogs to run a muck.
I think training would be a great idea for you and your son. I have taken my girl to training in the past and she did well. Don’t jump the gun and think you need to opt for the worst case scenario. I think your reaching out to the other person is the right thing. Be thankful too it wasn’t a person she bit..
This will all work out

Back