My dog hasn’t pooped in 3-5 days, and now I’m concerned?

neochris

I’m on vacation so I’m useless at the moment. My family has been taking care of my dog and now I’m having a lot of stress, worrying about him. He had diarrhoea a week after I left suddenly. His diarrhoea had blood in it.

Vet was all booked up, so had been feeding him chicken and rice up until it stopped. Then they took him to the vet. Said his gums, etc looked healthy and gave us cans for gastro or something then two shots in the stomach then sent us off.

Since then, hasn’t been pooping at all, been feeding him the cans the vet gave + chicken & rice. My family gave him less than a tbsp of canned Pumpkin.

Called the vet and they told us he might need x-rays, surgery may cost $5,000 if he needs it if there is something stuck.

I’m freaking out cause I’m cross the country, I love my dog so much, and I’m scared by the time I come home I’m gonna lose him.

@neochris Has your family taking the dog for a walk? Your dog might be full of gas. Dogs can get anxiety if their owners are not around. He might be scared. Ask your family member to take him out for a walk and see if he poops. Have you tried giving him a tablespoon of Pepto-Bismol? Make sure your family members do not give him any onions or grapes for things dogs are not supposed to be eating. Things like that will give him food poison.

@neochris It may be that the treatment for diarrhea has him a little constipated now. Best to check with the vet as you mentioned a blockage caused by him eating a foreign object may require surgery