My chihuahua/terrier is 15 years old. She has congestive heart failure and kidney failure. And right now she is refusing to eat. Please help

@whiskipops That’s so valid and what makes it such a difficult decision. The company that I used had a “TeleAdvice” meeting before anything so you could talk it through with a vet who could help you evaluate so it’s not all on you. She was the one who encouraged us to do it that day, we thought we might have weeks but she reality checked us a little (that the meds weren’t working and he could experience a crisis).

@whiskipops My Chihuahua/Terrier mix is 14 and she has CHF as well. She is on a mix of vetmedin, enalipril, and liqi-tonic w. torbidol. She recently stopped eating her food too, no matter what I did. I tried crushing up a treat and putting it in the food with some oil, and that didn't work. Yesterday I boiled some ground beef and put that in her food and she seems to have eaten that no problem. She also eats treats without any hesitation. So, going forward, I'm going to put the ground beef and crushed up dog treats with oil in her food cuz she seems to like that and it's better than nothing.

She recently scared me when I got home she collapsed on her side and had trouble walking for a minute. At that point I knew I had to try anything to get her to eat.

@chadthereformedman That’s devastating. It seems we are both in the same sad boat. It’s a terrible thing to watch them refuse to eat and become so frail. My vet told me that if she refuses to eat and continues to be picky I can try to find baby food that she would like. She even provided a syringe so I can squeeze a small amount into her to make it easier for her to eat. Baby food is by far healthier than rotisserie chicken. It should help her recover a little.

@whiskipops Tbh I am so glad I found your post. When I first saw it I was like "OMG this is exactly what is happening with Princess".

I literally just got off the phone with the vet and they suggested trying something like the plain boiled ground beef, chicken, and white rice. She seems to like the former and it's not that much prep work for me.

What's ironic is even though she is 14 going on 15, she is such a ball of energy otherwise. When I get home she bark-squeaks so loud it wakes up my other geriatric pup who is deaf and already 15. It's kinda cute.

I only wish the best for your pupper as well and hope the vet can do something to alleviate any pain and increase her appetite. Much love ❤❤❤

Back