Merle

@katy777 actually the dad is purebred and the mom is a mutt (50/50), making the pups 75/25 which isn’t far from a technically pure bred dog. So we did not take a purebred chi and like a purebred pom and purposefully mix them to make a “pomchi”. Technically, just looking at the numbers, i could breed my pup with a purebred chi, and landing at 87.5%. Which is the least amount of % to be called “purebred”. The puppies came out beautiful and healthy, 6 of them.

@crs_7 They were probably better than most purebred chihuahuas I have seen! As breeders, we have a responsibility to select pairs which would result in the most freedom from pain, including trying to reduce deafness or other congenital diseases. In my breed, Italian Greyhounds, the genetic defects often won’t show until late adulthood, so gauging health at the puppy stage is moot. Sure, you’d ask the vet to check patellas, but you can’t certify the soundness until after 3 years of age.

In my area, chihuahuas and other small dogs are often in high demand, so they suffer from practices that focus on looks rather than structure and health.

Personally, I will be getting my two of my puppies who are not registered with the AKC genetic tested to consider them as stock dogs. Iggies can suffer from leg breaks, which are expensive and extremely stressful on dog and owner. Sometimes, the leg needs to be amputated. Iggies are often owned by those with more financial stability and are not often in shelters. While I don’t think breeding outside the stud book is a good practice in general, if we can perpetuate a dog with better leg structure, then that goal is better for the dog and breed.

I’m glad you’re looking into the matter more, but you may need to look at more information since your practices might lead to unintended consequences. Not saying you’re horrible or whatever. I love my chihuahua mix and I don’t like most purebred chihuahuas. There is value in certain mixes, but good breeding practices apply to mixed breeding as they do with purebreds.

@redeemed2000 That is not my intention, my parents are responsible for this litter and i helped raise the pups and bought one of them. You can read my other comments if you’re interested in my intentions when breeding. I assure you, i am very qualified caring for and working with dogs. And when im in charge, with my own, purebred, healthy and beautiful future female dog, the pups will be just as perfect and they will get the most perfect home that i picked for them. And they are always welcome back to me if they can’t stay there.

Back