LonG story short, am I messing up the training

nomoreexcuses24

am I messing up my puppy. I let him sleep in bed when we had the super cold freeze, can’t move the kennel much in a travel trailer.I kennel during the day, he has a Rover that comes over and lets him out. But he’s a screamer. 5 months old. My camera tells me he’s screaming. How do I fix this? Kennel at night and during the day? Also, I don’t respond to trolls. I’m a great dog mom. I know that. I just haven’t had a puppy in years. Please ignore the trolls

@nomoreexcuses24 Sounds like a clinical case. I would highly suggest speaking to your vet about medication that can help calm him down and also look at the book "Be right back" by Julie Niasmith.

When it's clinical like this no training can really happen because the dog is in fight or flight mode.

@nomoreexcuses24 Have you tried easing into it? I had a puppy who would do great at night in the kennel but scream all day. So I started teaching her how to be alone when she was awake, at about 4 months, by leaving (at the start for 5 seconds) coming back and giving her a treat. It was a slow go til about 15 minutes, and then by that time, 15 isn't so different from 20, 20 isn't so different from 30, 30 isn't so different from 45. It took about 2 months but we got up to 4 hours really quickly. And now (granted she graduated from her kennel and has free reign) she can go 7 if I really need her to, although I don't do this often.

@nomoreexcuses24 How long are you gone during the day and what breed(s) is the puppy?

Also when you return during the day do you immediately let him out even if he’s screaming? Does the dog walker let him out if he’s screaming or does he wait for calm behavior?

Back