[Link] Map of all U.S. Dog-Friendly National Parks

@gup20 Never been but I love everything I’ve learned about Gates of the Arctic.

It’s bigger than Belgium.

It contains no roads or facilities.

It’s the least visited National Park.

It’s home to wolves, grizzlies, wolverines, moose, Arctic foxes, and caribou.

@miro Green means dogs are allowed (almost) everywhere in the park, including multiple trails

Blue means to check the NPS website and there are one or more specific trails that allow dogs

Yellow means dogs can only go where cars go

Red means leave them at home 😔

Hope this helps!

@jayc_sup Olympic National Park looks like it's missing.

https://www.nps.gov/olym/planyourvisit/pets.htm

Pets are allowed on the following trails:
  • Peabody Creek Trail (Olympic National Park Visitor Center in Port Angeles)
  • Rialto Beach parking lot to Ellen Creek (1/2 mile)
  • The beaches between the Hoh and Quinault Reservations (Kalaloch area)
  • Madison Falls Trail (Elwha)
  • Spruce Railroad Trail (North shore of Lake Crescent)
  • July Creek Loop Trail (North shore of Lake Quinault)
Pets are not permitted - on any trails not listed above, in public buildings, on interpretive walks, or in the wilderness.

Additionally pets are welcome in drive in campgrounds and picnic areas as well as paved or dirt roads, but no digging or rolling on plants as that will damage vegetation.

Bummer about Glacier. It's a long weekend trip for us and I won't go without my girl.

@jayc_sup This is very cool!

For Yosemite, dogs are allowed ON LEASH in the valley (and likely other non-trail/wilderness areas, like Wawona), but are NOT allowed on trail.

Also, for the safety of your dog, wildlife, you, other visitors and park staff, please ALWAYS keep your dog leashed when in a national or state park. No matter how well behaved your dog is, having him or her off leash in a park is an unnecessary and unacceptable risk.

@jayc_sup It's probably on here but needs to be reiterated...

Never assume your dog can just go off leash even in areas where dogs are allowed.

Near where I live endangered birds keep getting killed on the beach because people think it's no big deal to have their dog off leash in the wilderness. The birds are extremely small and fragile and nest on the ground.

Sometimes it's not just for your dog's safety to be on a leash. Almost always at a park/trail/wilderness area entrance there are signs that will tell you whether to keep your dog on a leash.

@jayc_sup Both Pictured Rocks and Sleeping Bear are missing from the list. Both have some dog friendly beaches, trails and campgrounds.
Keweenaw National Historical Park allows dogs as well.