Kibbles n Bits

iza

I see people always saying kibbles n bits is garbage dog food but I had a dog live a long happy life for 16 yrs eating ONLY kibbles n bits ! I now have new dogs and feed them KNB and they seem to be happy and healthy as well . Why so much controversy?

@iza My grandmother cooked everything in lard her entire life. I once saw her fry up bacon in lard. She recently celebrated her 100th birthday.

@iza There are a lot of dogs that live long lives on inexpensive dog foods. These include O'Roy, pedigree, kibbles and bits, gravy train, ken-l ration, gains burgers, and more.

Likewise there are people who live long lives by eating poor foods, drinking, smoking, etc.

We're all individuals so what works for one doesn't always work for all. Granted, good research and feeding a balanced diet will increase the odds of a long happy life.

@honestscript My childhood dog was strictly outdoors, ate ol’ roy and table scraps and whatever gross things he found, and only went to the vet for vaccinations. He lived 16 wonderful years.

My two boys i had as an adult got the best food, the best and frequent vet care (I’m the equivalent of the overprotective mom that takes her kid to the ER for a common cold), and lots of playtime that included walkies, the park, car rides, and brain games. I lost one unexpectedly and quickly when he was 11 to cancer and the other to an unknown, never seen in a dog disease when he was 9.

They were all black labs. 16 year old and 9 year old were from farm dog parents, 11 year old was from a breeder that my husband knew. He was the runt of the litter and it was determined he wouldn’t make a good hunting dog. They were right, he hated water and loved cuddles with his mommy.

Puppies are a grab bag. You do everything right by today’s standards and they can still break your heart way too young.

@iza I'm guessing this may have been a long time ago. There are better and more variety now. When I was a kid there was pretty much just the original purina now they have 3 lines.

@iza It’s far from the worst thing you could feed, but there are equivalent diets that have significantly more expertise and research behind them like Iams (except in Europe) and dog chow.

@mary24 Purina is one of the WSAVA certified ones and is the brand I’ve fed my dogs forever. I have a pittie now that has allergies so I have to give her the salmon flavor of the Pro Plan Sensitive Skin and Stomach and she does really well on it. Lots of energy and super soft and shiny coat and she doesn’t itch herself to death anymore

@iza because you can get lucky once

but you wanna use all your power to have all the odds in your favor

aka buy wsava guided food aka purina

@iza I bought the Purina One puppy food for my pups and they are not fans of it. I started them on the FreshPet refrigerated dogfood at 6 weeks old & they just turned 12 weeks old & I haven’t found a kibble yet that they will eat. My last dog ate Kibbles n Bits and he lived to be 14 yrs old. I would’ve fed my new pups the same thing but they don’t like it. 😭

@iza You’d be amazed what our pets can survive on. A whole community exists here that insists our pets are wolves and Veterinarians are just high paid shills killing our pets for big kibble. I actually watched someone deflect onto “Big Corn” a few days ago.

Wasn’t Kibbles n Bits also involved in the Phenobarbital contamination recall due to a supplier using remains? I’m generally not big on letting recalls sway me, but I definitely haven’t looked at them or Gravy Train the same since that one.

Sticking to WSAVA while not necessary, takes the guess work out. I know if I feed them from the list that meets the clear cut standards, I’m not hampering their life or creating an issue I’d need to deal with later.

@iza I have a 110lb dog who will not barely eat any dry food. I have tried purina one, kibbles and bits, Rachael ray, beneful, blue Buffalo (the only one he did eat some of), jinx and probably some i have forgotten.
I am trying purina pro plan next but I'm going broke trying to find a dry food he will eat without me having to add canned food to.

@iza It’s cheap dog food and it’s not certified, but it’s still dog food. If you personally want to feed different food that’s great, but seriously stop judging people for feeding budget dog and cat foods.

Especially since the companies making the expensive boutique foods sucked people in with their marketing and now a bunch of dogs got DCM. Those dogs probably would have been better off with kibble and bits!

@iza Every episode I watched of AB Tony camping with Bruno, he never fed the dog till he was full. But Tony would be feasting on lots. He use to get mad with his dog for begging for food from him.
I never thought Tony fed Bruno enough. This may have been the reason he died from seizure.

@iza It’s regarded like junk food. It’s highly palatable and has food dyes much like Beneful. It’s corn based and some people don’t understand the benefits of corn in pet food. But I’m not sure how nutritionally complete it is and it’s not a brand that complies with WSAVA guidelines.
I can tell you I fed my ageing dog it when he stopped eating after the death of his bonded companion. He couldn’t eat chicken so this seemed to work.

Back