Just because a food is expensive and popular doesn't mean it's better!

@jensearching I don't feed my dogs raw, I feed them Purina One because it is literally the same as Purina pro plan for half the price. Go look at the ingredients and guaranteed analysis yourself. No mention of raw anywhere in my post.

@sharrylee My bad then because people that are usually this “passionate” about nutrition are raw feeders. Purina Pro Plan is health issue specific and Purina One is specifically marketed to be more affordable so customers can get the best of both worlds. I don’t see why this is such a big deal for you to be completely honest…

@jensearching Purina pro plan isn't just health issue specific. There is large breed, small breed, puppy, large breed puppy, senior etc, and everytime I see a food recommendation post it's always people raving about how great PPP is for puppies, but it's the exact same as Purina One.

Dog food prices have inflated 12% and will be going up even more in the next few months, and soon a lot of people will have to choose whether to switch foods, hold back on their own spending, or take their dog to a shelter.

So whether people think this is useful information or not, it is.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/globalnews.ca/news/8997583/canadian-animal-shelters-challenges/amp/

https://www.thewildest.com/pet-lifestyle/inflation-cause-pet-surrender

https://vetnutrition.tufts.edu/2022/03/pet-food-costs-by-type/

@sharrylee Ok so i genuinely don’t know if you’re backtracking or not cause I read your comments but I think if you started it off with THIS angle it would make a lot more sense. Yeah thank god there’s affordable quality pet food available but that doesn’t negate that PPP is great.

@jensearching I've literally been posting the entire time that there is no reason for Royal canin, Hills, and PPP to cost as much as they do based on ingredients and posted the ingredients of 3 less expensive foods with similar or the exact same ingredients at 1/2 the price, and I really just like that blue Buffalo actually breaks down some of the ingredient content percentages because that's what people seem to get hung up on, like because PPP is more expensive it's better and gas better ingredients, but it doesn't, it uses the exact same quality, the exact same ingredients, no where does it say it doesn't.

Literally my whole point as people blab on about royal canin having so much more quality and better nutrients, when no where on the bag does it say where anything is sourced any differently then Iams or Kirkland.

Like damn, people are easy.

@sharrylee Eh I’ll disengage because I truly don’t get why this is such a big deal (and they don’t use the wxact same ingredients??? Besides, sourcing ingredients is what typically also drives the price up so…) But based on your last line you have a high horse so by all means stay on it lol

@godsgirlxox Go read complaints on royal canin and hills foods and then keep telling yourself everyone else is just a liar and wrong. Because experience doesn't mean shit compared to the word of an association funded by both. Nestle and mars really care about the earth and human health, so I can definitely trust them with my dogs.

Palmolive is pretty good stuff though, hopefully it isn't made in the same factory as the kibble!

Purina Pro Plan and Purina One Smartblend have an almost identical ingredient list and guaranteed analysis on their products, but you pay double the price for pro plan.

Royal Canin is $124 a bag and doesn't contain any real meat (lean animal protein)! It contains mostly corn (hard to digest and high on the glycemic index as a carbohydrate) and chicken by product meal (very little meat, with ground up bone, skin, intestines, kidneys, feet, eggs etc).

Hills Science Diet is $97 a bag yet again, no real meat in the ingredient list at all! (low animal protein, high plant protein).

Obviously different formulas on small breed, senior, adult, puppy etc so ingredients will vary, but the majority are the same. You are paying for a brand name, not high quality dog food.

*Edited for clarity as my 2am rant is lacking

Chicken meal is ground up chicken meat, bones, and skin, but there is no measuring of percentages of each, the plant that renders the meal does it in high volume, so their is no way to know what percentage of what you are getting.

Chicken by product is the bone, feet, intestines, egg all rendered together, and again, there is no guarantee on what amount of each gets into the dog food.

Chicken by product meal is just every part of the chicken all ground up together.

Having a meat listed as the first ingredient ensures the dog food contains a higher percentage of animal protein, and having by product or meal afterwards is not harmful or bad, but they are not substitutes to actual muscle proteins.

Back