Is it okay to feed plain cooked oats every day?

oshea007

I want to add a grain to my dog's new food (emergency new brand since a recall) since he does better on it than grain free. I've calculated the k calories and he's well within his daily limit to have ¾-1 cup of plain oats cooked in water and he's been doing fine having it for a few days so I wanted to know if it's okay to continue for awhile?

@oshea007 This is not a good idea. All available evidence regarding grain free diets causing heart disease is that it is not the absence of grain but the presence of the peas potatoes and legumes that replace grain in that diet.

This will not only unbalance the diet, it will also not prevent DCM

@sevilodorf Okay interesting. I have every intention of switching back to his regular food with grains as soon as it's safe to buy again but right now I have one with peas and since he has a sensitive stomach I wouldn't want to subject him to another sudden change. Is there a way to make it work short term?

@oshea007 We don’t have good evidence on how long it can take to cause DCM. A four month old puppy was diagnosed, and there was one study that showed cardiac changes within I think 30 days but it might’ve been 60. Victor recalled everything - all diets all sizes - so it could be awhile until that’s stabilized.

I’d be talking to your vet about a prescription sensitive stomach diet as a holdover. Something like Hills I/d can usually be given without a changeover and is made for sensitive stomachs

Back