Is fetch bad for our dogs too? Ffs

Calm Canine Academy (on IG) posted that fetch is bad for reactive dogs bc it “harnesses the predatory sequence.” (Aside from it being bad for their joints). Has anyone found avoiding fetch helpful in lowering reactivity?

Our 11-year old reactive rescue (have had her for 3 months) loves fetch, and loves to murder toys. I’d hate to stop fetch and giving her squeaky toys to kill bc she loves both but is that bad?

I feel like f**k I can’t do anything right and everything makes reactivity worse (exaggerating bc I’m having a moment of frustration).

@pixeloriousspriteson I work impulse control into the fetch so it's teaching focus and responding to commands. So sit, wait, I throw the ball about in my hands and tempt her and I won't throw if she breaks the sit. I always say 'fetch' when I throw so it's responding to a command. Some times I'll make her wait and throw it then release with 'fetch'

@one12man I also use fetch for impulse control.

It's her absolute favourite thing in the world, so if I can get her to stop when hurtling after her stick, then her stop is pretty much bomb proof.

@one12man I do this too! I have my dog hold a down stay, and then wait for the release word to go and get it. Sometimes I’ll also wrap the ball up in paper for her to shred first, or inside another toy, so it’s a bit of brain engagement and nosework that way too.

@one12man Ooh yes. My girl has to actually drop the ball into my hand. If she misses she has to come back and try again. She has to focus on what she needs to do in order for her to get what she wants

@one12man Interesting. I've been working on this too. I'll throw the ball and call his name and if he looks at me I'll say fetch. I'll also hold his collar while doing this. Seems to work really well to build positive association to the dogs name and some impulse control.

@anilo One of the things our dog trainer worked on was recall while someone else (not family) holds his collar.

The appropriate response is for dog to always go to owner if owner vocalizes recall.

Dog will get very distressed / agitated if unable to attend to owner. He doesn’t bite the restraining human, but will not settle when owner is recalling. When released, dog will immediately go to owner and check. Both owner and dog are reinforced by getting to be together and facilitates pack bonding.

Second exercise is to facilitate recall while someone else initiates recall at the same time. (Ex. Neighbour calls dog but I recall dog at the same time, appropriate response is to go to me, not other human).

The dog learning to attune to its chosen human over all others is a great feat and demonstrates a bonded owner/dog pairing.

@one12man I do this a bit with my dog, but I've found that the sense of anticipation really winds her up and makes her worse 🙄 On the other hand, if she's so overexcited that she can't follow commands anymore, then, for some reason, it helps 🤣 It's all about balance 🤷

@pixeloriousspriteson Sarah Stremming in the Cog Dog Radio podcast talks about how, depending on the dog, she does recommend avoiding fetch.

Iirc, her explanation is that fetch is a high arousal form of exercise and is often used to burn energy when a long decompression walk would actually be better for calming the dog’s anxious mind. It depends on the dog though and also the bigger picture of how often fetch is happening and what other forms of exercise and enrichment are involved.

I don’t really agree with Calm Canine Academy’s suggestion that fetch helps dog practice the predatory sequence and therefore makes them more reactive. Reactivity and prey drive are different.

@greenhill Thanks for these thoughts. Walks are stressful for our reactive dog and we’re moving into a house today with a yard. I’ve been looking forward to giving her more regular opportunities to get energy out before walks and in general. She’d chase a ball forever if she had it her way but she’s been WIPED all day after the two times I took her to a sniff spot. She doesn’t know she’s 11 🥹

@pixeloriousspriteson I switched Fetch with decompression walks. Only one reason, hip displasia. Had him diagnosed at 1.5 yrs once I found out about it.

I hated giving it up but damn the sniff walks are amazing.

And I switched to "find the ball" which makes him more purposeful. It's the same game minus the running and maneuvers.

Don't want my boy having trouble walking once he hits old age.

And yes, I did notice he was significantly calmer, slept better. But now he's ball reactive. I mean, he goes bonkers if he sees a ball. Edit: Sees a ball being thrown.

Make of that what you will.

@hiccup My 2 year old collie is very energetic, and a one hour sniff/loose lease training/counter conditioning walk is way more exhausting than an hour of fetch!

When we do play fetch it’s only in the back yard and she has to practice her rally commands or wait/stay/okay commands between throws!

@joshuawithmartin 100%! When my dog was at peak reactivity, neighborhood walks just made her more stressed, but a nice long line walk in a local field or trail helped so much. Now, she’s fine with a short lease walk around the block, but she definitely still prefers (and needs) regular decompression-style walks.

@greenhill Oohhh. Ok that makes sense. I was thinking of how NOT decompressive her normal walks are.

Do you think the same backyard every day would serve as a space for decompression? I don’t think we’re at even “long line” status and def not off leash, other than our enclosed space.

@greenhill @greenhill @joshuawithmartin - can i do a "decompression walk" by letting her sniff around our backyard, or does that not count? we JUST moved to a new place so i'm trying to do all I can to help her adjust with minimal stress.

@pixeloriousspriteson Sniffing in the backyard is great but it doesn’t quite count as a real decompression walk.

If neighborhoods sidewalks, parks and other common walking areas are hard try going to places like: office parks and colleges on the weekends, dog friendly cemeteries at quiet times, fire roads or utility roads that are not often used etc.

Back