If you work a traditional job, how did you manage with your pup (before COVID)?

swalker183

I posted this on /r/BlueHeelers, but didn't get too many responses, so I figured I'd post again here to see if I can get a little more insight.

My husband and I are looking into Heelers and are pretty close to adopting a puppy. I know they require a lot of time and energy, and we're working from home for the foreseeable future, but what happens when we go back to work? Is it possible to work a typical 8 hour day with a high energy dog like this? What would we have to do (i.e. how much exercise, what type, etc.) if we have to return to work? Are they okay at home by themselves for 8-10 hours at a time? At what age do they start to calm down a little if at all? Are they okay with boarding if we have to go out of town? I have raised a few dogs - mostly GSD mixes, and I was wondering how different of an experience it would be with a Heeler. I've heard a lot about these dogs and how they are a pretty unique breed, so I wanted to get some more first hand experience rather than just the typical "breed guides" before we make a final decision. Thanks in advance!

@swalker183 There's no way I could work a traditional job with my heeler. I cannot board her or take her to day care bc she is dog reactive, which is pretty typical for this breed.
Honest advice- if this dog is not going to be your lifestyle and you do not own a ranch or large property- get something else. These are bred to be working dogs and require a shit ton of work on your behalf. The herding drive never calms down. They are bite-y and nippy and opinionated and incredibly territorial. Check all the posts about
* my boyfriend's/girlfriend's dog attacks /bites me
* my heeler attacks other dogs
* I sadly have to rehome my heeler

There is a reason heeler puppies are called velociraptors. A painful one. These dogs are a lot. Mine is highly trained and terrific but it has been a long and hard two years. She is strong and willful and bratty. These dogs are built to run for miles, outsmart livestock & take a kick in the head from cows so think on that for a minute. Do you need the dog to do any of those things & how will you satisfy his/her drive to do them. How will you manage the dog when it decides to use those instincts on you?
If you just want a dog for a pet- seriously consider something else bred to be a pet vs a working dog.

@swalker183 Before the working from home thing, I would take my dog to a daycare 3 days a week. On the other 2 days, I’m lucky enough to live only 10 minutes from my work, so I could come home and walk him. With the three days of daycare, he was pretty calm on the off days and was satisfied with a quicker walk. The daycare also does boarding, so he was fine the couple of times we boarded him because he already knew the people and the routine. This might not be something you can do, so don’t feel like my experience is the only way to go. Hopefully you get some more comments with more insight. Good luck!

@swalker183 It's definitely possible! Just make sure you are giving you and the pup some time apart (him in the crate or behind a gate). Mine still whines a bit in the crate at 7 months, but he made a huge improvement after we did some gate training during the day. They need to learn how to cope without your attention.

Also when crate training try a frozen kong with some yogurt and treats! It'll keep them busy long enough to not even notice you're gone!

I live about 10 minutes from work and was coming home every day to let him out on lunch before COVID. I'd also take him on a walk before and after work and then play fetch in the evening. As he's gotten older this routine seems like it doesn't even faze him. We'll play an hour of INTENSE fetch and he'll still be dropping his ball in my lap for the next 2 hours.

Make sure you read up on training and nip bad behaviors in the bud early. You have to out-stubborn them and let them know who is boss. Mine is incredibly mouthy and hyper, but I wouldn't trade him for the world. You get out of these dogs 110% what you put into them. Just know that you will never poop alone again.

@swalker183 My wife and I took the first week off when we got Albie. After that we came home at lunch time until he was a few months old and the literature indicated he should be able to hold it without issue. We used puppy pads with him in a captive tray so that he couldn't chew them up (this was however never an issue). We also have a playpen for him; didn't like the idea of crating so the playpen thing is a big baby gate enclosure. It started out as a corner of our kitchen but is now most of our living room in our city apartment (for a few more weeks hopefully; put an offer on a house today). We learned he has a thing for freshly painted drywall, or we'd just let him run rampant. Unfortunately if a spot of a wall has been repaired he fixates on it even after it's cured. We haven't figured that one out yet, but he's been several months without an issue so maybe it was just a growing thing that he's left behind.

@swalker183 Thanks! This is our second try; first one we backed out due to a crazypants HOA. This one doesn't have an HOA. It's also much closer to our offices, should we ever "get to" go back there. Goal has been a fenced in yard for Albie and to be settled in before our son arrives end of November.

@imagebeastmarkbeast Wow, so lots of big things happening soon! Congrats on the baby! It took us roughly 3 months and 4 offers on 4 different houses before we finally closed on this one. It takes some time, but definitely worth it. And don't forget to estimate for closing costs! As a first time home buyer, the closing costs were a bit of a shock for us. Hoping for the best for you and your family!