i want to feed my dog better meals…needing advice

overbat

Hi! My family’s dog, 7 y/o and 45 lb mini aussie, has been eating blue wilderness dry food for years now. We have tried other brands but we assume he has a sensitive stomach cuz he throws up other dry dog foods. He does have a bit of anxiety too so my parents play it safe and only feed him blue wilderness dry food. I strongly think he deserves better than dry food meals and will be much happier with better food! I only live with my parents during the summer but when i am home i am primarily taking care of him. (he also may live at my house in the near future) so..I really want to introduce non-processed highly nutritious food, however my parents insist on keeping his dry food. My question is what can i safely start adding to or adjusting in his current dry food? i have started to research his current dry food ingredients to see what nutrients are meet and what is not so that if i do add other nutrients i am not exceeding his recommended daily intakes. I hope to eventually stop feeding him dry food when he comes to live with me. but im wondering what would be a starting off point for improving his meals, nutrition and satisfaction eating?

@overbat Dry food has already been nutritionally balanced; otherwise it cannot be sold, even if it’s Blue Buffalo food. Adding additional things to his diet will unbalance it and introduce nutritional deficiencies if the added food exceeds 10% of his caloric intake.

If you want to swap him off of kibble, you ideally need to consult a board certified veterinary nutritionist from the ACVN or the ECVCN to make sure you’re not doing more harm than good by feeding him a nutritionally unbalanced diet, especially because he tends to have stomach issues.

FWIW, I know you mean well. But you need to feed the dog in front of you. If he does poorly with dietary changes and this kibble is the only thing he doesn’t puke up, it’s really not worth messing with it. Do you really think he’s happier when he’s puking up his meals?

@overbat I recommend adding some things to the kibble instead. My dog has a very sensitive tummy and adding in some canned pumpkin (just pumpkin not pumpkin pie filling), oats, or other little bits of fruits and veggies occasionally seems to get him really excited. It’s a nice way to add variety without causing problems as long as you know what other foods don’t bother him and you only do this in moderation.

@sheppardfollower Yup! If OP really wants to include new things into the dog's diet, just add some additional snacks as part of their meal.

Do note that it shouldn't exceed 10% of their daily caloric intake, and it may potentially create pickiness, but overall it isn't as big of a headache as completely swapping off of the dog's safe food.

Back