I wanna change my dogs food what brand do u recommend for a picky eater

knight77

He has weeks where he eats no problem but then weeks he just like tired of it and won’t eat at all. Think maybe he needs a change

@knight77 this is going to sound crazy but switch where they are eating from. sometimes my dog will eat off a paper plate or the floor immediately after ignoring their actual bowl for hours.

@knight77 Most of the things being suggested have been associated with diet associated dilated cardiomyopathy (aka sudden heart failure due to enlarged chamber in the heart).

I’d go with one of the big 5 brands that meet the highest guidelines for dog food production: purina, Royal Canin, hills, eukanuba or Iams.

I’ve found most dogs like Royal Canin, which is considered basically the best of the best. They also have a palatability guarantee so if your dog doesn’t want to eat it, they will refund you.

People make dogs into picky eaters, dogs don’t starve themselves. Consider it a blessing if your dog doesn’t want to gorge himself. My last one was “picky” but we just gave her her food and if she didn’t eat it, well, she’d be hungry. She ate, and she never got fat, but was also never underweight

@peaceloving Seconding the comment above. My dog, before my current pup, died due to diet-associated dilated cardiomyopathy from one of the foods mentioned below. I even went through the entire FDA investigation process with my vet.

Now, I feed my pup the top five brands. I worked with my vet when he became a picky eater and tried different wet foods mixed with kibble.

@knight77 I have a very picky 11yo 12lb shihpoo. We went through phases of looking for something he took interest in. From low grade grocery store kibbles, raw to different bougie boutique kibbles.

Here's what I've experienced:
- grocery kibbles (Beneful, purina etc...) was the worst of our days. He had many days skipping dinners
- raw - was okay with chicken, but snubbed everything else. Then some days he would skip (it's common for raw eaters to skip a day). I didn't like when he skipped though because he'd puke bile the next morning
- I found he loooved Nature's Logic, but unfortunately, my store stopped selling it
- next contender is Acana Classics
- currently on a 10lb bag of Carna4 and he's been consistently eating every single night. It's a hefty pricetag, but this bag will last us 5 months (less quantity because nutriously dense)

Additionally, I like to blend steamed chicken hearts + frozen odds and ends of vegetables I keep in a huge frozen Ziploc instead of throwing it out. I use this as topper.

What greatly helped was adding warm water to his kibbles. I found that he was more interested, even without topper when there was water added. I think it helps bring out the flavor?

Now, we do kibbles + teaspoon of topper + water

@knight77 I feed our dog open farm raw mix , he loves it and we top it off with lettuce and carrots and cucumbers, sometimes I sprinkle or ground turkey. He salivates watching us prep his meal and adding fresh veggies makes it fun for him, as well as a slow feeder so he has to dig around to get to his kibble.

@knight77 Well I had to mix it all in together with my picky eater. If I didnt thoroughly mix in the topper he would also just pick it off the top. You can also try bone broth. I had rotating flavors of canned food and toppers the last couple years of his life. but it worked and I kept his weight up and healthy.

Back