I wanna change my dogs food what brand do u recommend for a picky eater

@sally1b2b They are a very nice company as well. They distribute to a small franchise in my area, only four stores, but they worked with a local nonprofit I did the fundraising for to deliver dog food for seniors through their meals on wheels program. Donated thousands of dollars of dog food to our local seniors every year.

@jay83x 100% on the open farm. Tried multiple different types of their kibble, freeze dried raw, and stews and my boy loves it all.

I also mix in raw food from Darwin’s and viva raw which he loves.

@knight77 My dog hated the food she was on when I first got her. Rarely finished meals, picked at it, had very little interest. The switch to Purina One went great. She loves it so much we had to buy a slow feed bowl! Which is wild when she used to just pick at her food. Health wise she is also doing great on that food.

Lots of people will disagree in regards to Purina but our picky girl loves it.

@knight77 We just switched to Pure Balance farva bean & lamb. Was on Purina puppy chow before (was what the breeder fed and we just kept at it) but he was skipping meals or not eating much frequently. Saw Pure Balance had great reviews but isn’t nearly as much a blue Buffalo or other high end foods. He’s loving it so far and eating every meal, hope it continues.

@knight77 My lil demon was also a picky eater! At 3 months, he got hospitalized because he starved himself to the brink of death for 3 days! Anyway, what worked out for him was his usual food (Health Extension) mixed with peanut butter. He looooves peanut butter. We decreased the amount of peanut butter little by little until there’s no more peanut butter and he eats it (but not as vigorously as with pb). Sometimes I toss him some kibbles on the floor and he likes to chase and eat them. That’s how I get rid of the leftovers. It’s a lot of work but here’s to hoping this is just a pup thing.

@knight77 I had the same issue plus not great poops. What worked for me was switching to hydrolyzed protein (prescription from vet) two different bands and I rotate between the two kibbles and two canned versions. (Royal Canin and Hills) I also add in some canned tripe which is disgusting but it really helped his overall gut. I also got some cerenia from the vet when he goes a day without eating I give it to him to see if I can get him back to eating. If he goes a morning without eating I give him an over easy or scrambled egg as a test and if he doesn’t eat that I know I might need to give him the cerenia if he doesn’t end up eating that day.

My dog also has separation anxiety so he doesn’t like to eat unless I am sitting or laying down. if I am up and moving around he is too busy trying to figure out what is happening. I have a friend whose dog only wants to eat when she is eating. He also went through a stage where he wanted the food on paper - I used coffee filters. Paper towels and paper plates.

Also I cut out all chews except collagen to see if that helped and I think it did - he likes bully sticks but I think they are too rich.

I hope your pup is less high maintenance than mine - and I worked all this out from Nov - March so it took months to get him eating regularly and he still eats more like a cat than a dog.

Also I learned that chicken is one of the most common food allergens in dogs

tldr: try rotating foods, tripe is gross but effective, consider cerenia, notice when he eats what you are doing and if that is a pattern, look at treat/chews and cut back to just 2-3 to see if that helps.

@knight77 I feed ours the Farmers Dog. They freak out with happiness when I get it out of the fridge. It’s like cooking for them from scratch, which I have done too. They also love that

@knight77 Good to know when you're testing foods most of the big stores let you return open bags with the receipt if your pup poopoos it. I think it just needs to be a mostly full bag.

Dogs have different tastes so it can be really dependent on the pooch. Please don't go the raw route. For one it's really gross, an absolute pain in the ass, expensive, unhygienic & can lead to lots of food born illnesses for both you & your dog. It's this wild craze lately & the people who feed raw are fervent AF (like some weird cult preaching their uncooked gospel- a French bulldog should really have the exact same diet as an actual wild wolf dontcha know?) but I've seen first hand animals become very unhealthy on raw diets & honestly a lot of picky eaters aren't fans of raw either so I don't get the fad furver.

@knight77 I go to dog boutique storescand buy local for toppers. The owners know their products and can help.

When i first started with my lab i had no idea. I started at a small store until i know what I was doing then i switched to buying on amazon.

Back