I messed up leash training, how do I fix it?

Basically my dog is almost 2 years now and he’s decent on the leash 80% of the time, good U-shape and slack, all that stuff.

But when he gets excited he pulls and he thinks it’s okay to keep pulling. He’ll take one step back to get the slack back on the leash, as I was told to stop moving if he pulled and wait until the slack returned to continue.

But the little butt is too smart so he takes 1-2 steps back and then pulls again. We’ll go through this a handful of times and, each time I make him take a couple more steps back in order to get me to start moving again.

I was hoping if I was consistent with that, he’d figure out that no slack on leash is bad. But I feel like we haven’t made any progress in 6 months and I don’t know how to improve from here.

Any advice?

@kathleenloveschrist I was able to correct this in my dog by practicing other things, like sit or down stay. This breaks focus on what they’re trying to pull towards, and is almost like a little time out to reset the behavior. There’s no point in pulling if you have to lay down and can’t get anywhere at all.

@kathleenloveschrist Turning around and rewarding my dog for following me the other way seems to work when my dog gets excited and pulls. Once he calms down, then we turn back and proceed back towards the way we were originally going. Meanwhile rewarding him for calm behaviours and not pulling. It will feel like you're walking in little circles many times during your walk. It's worth a try because it breaks their attention and it's a strategy that seemed to help. And once my dog figured this out, the pulling significantly decreased.

@inkaboutit I use a similar tactic when training my pup off leash. We'll be walking on a trail and without indication to the pup I just turn and go the opposite way or take a fork in the trail while watching for the pup to notice and zoom back to be in front again. Now she is always keeping close and always checking on me to make sure I'm going the same way.

@inkaboutit We use this at the shelter I work at. We call them “drop & go’s” while what OP is doing would be called “stop & go’s.” Stop & go’s are opted for when dogs still need that foundation but may not be amenable to the leash pressure of changing direction. Drop & go’s are when you’d stop walking and then begin walking backwards. Each time they pull, they should be met with this change in direction. This is exactly what I would recommend!

That and left hand circles to break concentration on things, you kind of use your body to change your walking course and have them do big or small circles to the left. Applying slight body pressure as needed to maneuver them in the same direction as you, like your knee being in their way because you stepped into their walking path and then continuing your walk so they move with you.

@kathleenloveschrist It sounds like maybe the issue isn't actually pulling, but self-control in the face of distraction. If the dog walks well on leash when not excited, it may not be a leash problem.

I've had good luck with engage/disengage games for that aspect. My guy is getting the idea that if he remains calm and checks in with me, we're very likely to do what he wants and if he goes bananas and pulls, we're definitely going to turn around and go the other way.

If it is a leash thing, this covers a lot of good info that helped me:

I taught it using a flat collar but once you have an "easy/don't pull" command that works, you can do it on a harness or whatever else.

@kathleenloveschrist Two things to try:

First if you notice their attention is locking in, just turn around and without a command or notification walk the other way with purpose and give a stiff tug if they don't notice. After a couple of "how'd you get over there?"'s they'll typically pay a little more attention to where you are and less on distractions. This is trying to avoid needing some command to regain paying attention to you walking.

Secondly an attention command is generally useful anyway and heelers can be a bit of a handful. We use "look at me" and it means, I want eye contact and stay close. We've trained it now to solid heel, but that just kinda comes with time. There are videos etc on training the command, but any time I use it, it's very high reward. Left to her own devices our heeler can really want to try and get a piece of the neighborhood rabbits, deer, turkey, black bears and doodle breeds specifically for whatever reason, but on that command she'll lock eyes and stay with me.

@kathleenloveschrist I also practice on and off leash with my gal. She knows that if I stop when shes walking next to me that she needs to stop and sit until I say “let’s go” to continue or “break” to release her to play.

@kathleenloveschrist When your dog is next to you, you can give him a treat or kibble as a reward for engagement, whether that’s being near you or looking at you. This helps my dog. She still makes mistakes and wants to do her own thing from time to time, but doing the treats or the kibble seem to motivate her. Also, it’s helpful to have a marker word like yes, or something else. This can help your dog know exactly the behavior you want from them. Good luck!

@kathleenloveschrist Before my boy hit about 5 yrs and chilled out quite a bit, I had to be very careful about my marker words being not too excited. A too excited “yes!” Or “good boy” got him to immediately start pulling because he picked up the pace 😂. Now the leash is no pressure on either end, it’s really just a guide for how far he can wander, unless he sees a squirrel, then he needs the reminder and redirection the other way 😂😂😂

@lee102 Lazy method, all aversive with no structure. Like letting an iPad fully educate your child just because an iPad can be used to educate a child.

@kathleenloveschrist My dog trained me...that is to not have her on a leash. It has never been a problem. You don't say what kind of exercise regimen you have him on, but 'walks' are absolutely not exercise. My dog would run free for 30-40 miles every time I went for a walk. We had a greenway I walked along while she was busy herding any animal that moved. If your dog isn't getting that kind of exercise, you need to rethink your method.....the dog is just trying to do what he's been bred to do.

@potterpoole So your response to a post about leash etiquette is to not bother with a leash.. Glad that works for you and your dog but I actually do want mine to understand what being on a leash means. My dog has off-leash time to frolick in the fields and herd random shit, but that’s not what I’m asking.

@potterpoole So your response to a post about leash etiquette is to not bother with a leash.. Glad that works for you and your dog but I actually do want mine to understand what being on a leash means. My dog has off-leash time to frolick in the fields and herd random shit, but that’s not what I’m asking.

Back