I Broke My Ankle and Looking for Alternatives to Walking My Dog

philip1979

Three years ago my wife left, leaving me with our daughter and dog. Eventually we worked out custody and she has my daughter three days a week, and though it was my wife’s dog, and she was supposed to take the dog those days as well, ultimately I was left with him, religiously walking him 3 times a day, 7 days a week - and what I always feared has recently happened: I injured myself, seriously breaking my ankle, needing surgery, and I can’t walk him.

He’s a large English Lab, and a bit willful, but very loving, but he can he hard for some people to walk. Also, I’m unable to have a fence in my yard due to an easement by the township, so walking him has been my way to let him go to the bathroom and get exercise - though it can be demanding: no matter the weather, no matter my health, I never miss a walk.

Now that I’m injured, my ex finally agreed to take him the three days she has my daughter - but I need to find a solution for the other 12 walks per week. My daughter is limited in times she can walk him due to school and extracurricular activities, my mom is too old to be able walk such a large dog, and my girlfriend is flaking out, vacillating between saying she’ll walk him but then telling me all the reasons she’s too busy to. I’ve tried to find dog walkers on Rover but they all have spotty availability, and trying to stitch together a schedule is becoming quite difficult - not to mention it would cost $300/week (12 x $25).

So I’m looking for ideas on what to do at the times I can’t find someone to walk him. For example, should I tether him in the backyard for a half hour at the times he normally walks, so he can pee & poop? I know that sounds like a stupid question be he’s so used to only peeing & pooping while on a walk that he only does a quick pee and never poops when I’d try taking him in the yard in the past.

Please, I’m open to any ideas. I love my dog, and I don’t want him to suffer because I broke my ankle, and the sad thought of having to give him up starts creeping in my mind - but obviously, that’s the last thing I want to do.

Back