I’m losing my mind

ndemo

We have a 7 month old Pug who we have been crate training for 5 months now. He still cries constantly when you put him in at night and he wakes up every couple of hours crying and barking. Sometimes the crying can last 45 minutes - 1 hour before he tires himself out and falls asleep.

We have tried everything!! Licky mats, training in the crate, distraction toys and he ignores them completely. We have spent a fortune on comfier beds, soft blankets etc and nothing is working.

If he naps throughout the day we have to physically lift him into the crate and he only settles if you are in the room with him. We cannot leave him on his own in the crate at any point during the day.

I don’t know what else we can do at this point. We haven’t had a full night sleep in over 5 months. If anyone knows how dramatic pugs can be, you’ll know how he sounds like his life is ending!

Please help

@ndemo Ensure that your pug has positive associations with the crate. Start by leaving the crate door open during the day with treats or toys inside, allowing your pug to explore it on their terms. This will help them become comfortable with the crate as a safe and pleasant space.Try feeding your pug in the crate, gradually moving their food bowl further back into the crate over time. This can create a positive association with the crate.Engage your pug in fun crate games. Toss treats inside the crate and let them go in and out while playing. Make it an enjoyable and rewarding experience.https://soothedtails.com/ To address the nighttime crying, you can gradually desensitize your pug to being alone in the crate at night. Start by having the crate near your bed and gradually move it to the desired location over time.Playing soothing white noise or calming music in the room can help mask outside noises and provide comfort to your pug.

@ndemo Crate training has worked as such a benefit for my dog- I am sorry you’re needing to defend that when you’re just looking for advice, OP! Potentially dumb question- do you cover the crate when your pup is crated?

@coloradoguy We had not tried covering the crate as we read a few places online that it wouldn’t be advised for snub nosed breeds however that could be websites being extra cautious. Perhaps if we covered it and left one side open that could be an option! Thank you for the advice

@ndemo once he discovers the crate is his safe spot, you should be able to remove the blanket most of the time if you feel better about it. one open side will provide sufficient airflow to keep fresh air in, but feels more cave-like and will be more comfortable for him, regardless.

You may need to put it back during times of high anxiety for added comfort to him.

I feel like the advice you read is referencing not blocking free airflow, which leaving one side open will accomplish if there is any air movement in the room.

@ndemo Definitely seek out a Certified Separation Anxiety Trainer (CSAT) to help you out! They’ll be able to come up with a plan for you!

@ndemo some of these comments are ridiculous. it is a tool, like so many others. there are abusive ways to use a crate, but they are merely a tool that are most often valuable. My own dog is so traumatized by her crate that she hides in it when my kids are fighting and during loud thunderstorms. Poor thing naps in there during the day, even with a comfee pillow in the family sitting area and freedom to nap anywhere in the home. So barbaric 🙄

Aaanyway...

have you considered putting some of your fresh, dirty clothes in the crate with pup and (for now) a blanket that covers everything but the entrance?

I've had good success crate training younger and older dogs by putting my daily workout shirt in and a large blanket over the crate in addition to other positive association things you've mentioned, and should continue.

I don't know if this applies to you, but I've also found that putting the crate in room that's less open to the outside world is helpful- for example, in an interior room that doesn't face the street. it seems commotion from cars passing and generally things going on outside can increase anxiety until they've established the crate is a safe spot.

My 4 year old still needs the blanket when we travel, just an FYI.

@1wo Thank you for this advice! We had not tried putting a blanket over the crate yet as I read a few places online that it wasn’t advised for snub nosed breeds however as you said, I could try and keep one side open to allow airflow.

I had not heard of adding your own clothes in and I will definitely be trying that! Thank you 🤞

@ndemo Take some time during the day to acclimate them to the crate. Give VERY short moments away from you. I call it "capturing the silence." I just want a second of silence and then I'll come back and reward you. After we get that second, we can extend that to longer periods of time. We're essentially teaching him how to be calm.

This video goes into a little more depth on how to acclimate the dog to the crate so you can minimize whining: