I’m kinda stuck here

nadinepeony

Hello everyone! I currently have an 8 month old golden-lab. Well, I say golden lab but he has about 4% rottie in him, as weird as it sounds. I’m not a total noob when it comes to breeding I’ve learned a lot in the past year. But here’s my dilemma, as I mentioned my golden lab boy is 4% rottie according to embark. According to some research I’ve done, the reason it’s shrunk to 4% now is because the grandparents and parents have been goldens, and golden lab mixes.

Golden-labs are a really great breed for working dogs like for example, service work. Which is what my boy is training for, he also has an amazing food drive. But anyway, would it be ok if I were to breed him with another reputable breeder with either a golden or golden-lab? (Assuming he has good OFAs, I haven’t done them yet) or would I be considered a backyard breeder? Because from my research it sounds like the rottie part would just get washed out. By the golden and lab DNA. I came here bc I wanted to get some help from other breeders. Thanks in advance!

Input/advice would be great, I’m still a noob when it comes to the scientific aspect of it all

ETA: he ended up washing out of being an SD, was neutered, and had to rehome him due to severe behavioral issues that made him a danger to other puppies

@lestertiek That’s why I asked about the scientific aspect because for the majority he is golden-lab, and from what I’ve heard if i were to breed him with a pure golden retriever or golden lab that that would essentially diminish the last bit of Rottweiler. But Idk for sure so that’s why I’m askin

@nadinepeony Even if it technically diminishes it on paper unwanted traits can still pop up especially in behavior there is a reason why rots are not used often in service dog work they can be hard to train and not have the best temperament for work while there are unicorn dogs out there most programs go with the fab 4 poodles Goldens labs and collies or mixes of those 4 simply because they have the highest chances of success even then only 30% of the puppies actually make it the rest wash and go on to be pets

@grace4ever Not personally, as in I don’t have clients. But I know working dogs, especially those trained for therapy and service really help people out. And he has such a great temperament, food drive, and toy drive that I think he’d make great trainable pups

@nadinepeony I think if it’s something that you really want to do and have people fill out applications and spay/neuter contracts that would be good. But, to keep the drive and get actual working pups you should breed to an equal driven dog. Now, if you really want to get into breeding I would recommend spaying/neutering your dog and saving up for a dog from working lines with parents that have proper health testing and known lineage. This is something I wish I would of known when I started breeding.

@nadinepeony I mean it’s just things to think about, maybe wait until you’re living on your own. This will give you time to plan out what you want to do. If you really want to help people look into that and how you could maybe even start the training process for service work. It would be amazing and honestly have thought about it myself, I breed boxers though. They do great in protection training if you have a pup in a litter with enough potential.