I’m just feeling so lost. What is next?

@jamiem Fluoxetine is about 3 dollars a month on Chewy and can be even cheaper from places like Costco. The trick is getting your Vet to write a prescription instead of just getting it from them - most vets will try to get you to buy it from them for something crazy like 60 bucks a month because it's good profit for them.

@godspurpose07 You need a new vet-my vet sells it 100 40mg capsules for $14.47.

Now clomicalm is a different story but it’s name brand and unfortunately the generic sells out a lot.

@simsons Could be a location thing - I live in a very HCOL area so they may need to charge out the nose for meds to make enough money to afford rent/paying their employees. But I've been to 3 different vets in the area and they've all been around that same price, so I don't think it's my specific vet.

@simsons Believe it or not that wasn't the most expensive of the 3 vets I've been to.

My original vet is in the bougie part of town in a fancy shopping center and quoted me $800 for an ultrasound on my cat. Because of that price, I found a new vet that was significantly cheaper. They did the ultrasound for ~$300, though that was a discounted rate since they found that my cat had terminal cancer and felt bad. That Vet charges ~$45 a month for Fluoxetine, but refused to prescribe it for my dog. I found a third vet who was willing to prescribe it - they're less expensive than the first place but more than the second, and charged me ~$60 for the Fluoxetine before I begged them to write a prescription.

Maybe I could find a fourth vet that charges less, but why bother if I can get his pills for $1.50 a month at Costco honestly.

@godspurpose07 And this is the generic-not the name brand? That’s just highway robbery. My vet is what I would consider mid priced for a lowish COLA (though growing higher every day) and the price difference here is just upsetting.

@needadviceplease I second this. My boy did have a traumatic experience when he was younger (badly attacked by another dog), but he behaves/behaved much like your dog. Guarding breed too, bullmastiff/Malinois. Right down to suitcases also being scary! He lost his mind and dragged me home when he saw someone carrying a large painting at night. But recently he started fluoxetine and he’s been making small improvements, it’s as if now he has a moment to think and listen before the panic sets in. Not a cure-all, but it’s helping.

@jamiem Some of it may be adolescence and coming into her adult self. Meds might be helpful, definitely worth a discussion with your vet. I do think tapering expectations for the time being will also be helpful - I think a lot of people (myself very much included) think that if we do all of the "right" things we will get these confident, social dogs and that may not be in the cards for your girl. That's not to say it can't get better with consistency, but it may not get to the level of enjoying the groomer or having playdates in the park.

It sounds like, based on your description, that she doesn't like strange dogs (which I think isn't too off base for Rotties) and as far as people are concerned, I wonder if she's struggling with sudden environmental contrast. So if she's expecting to see people or she comes upon multiple people, it maybe easier to handle than if you are alone in a park and a random stranger appears. Rotties being in the realm of guard dogs, that's probably to be expected as well.

You may find some success with routines. Look up Leslie McDevitt's book, Control Unleashed. There are lots of pattern games in there, and the Look at That game might also be detailed in there as well (I can't remember). But I wonder if a process where you let her know a stranger is approaching and then move into a pattern game to make passing the stranger really predictable would help.

@childman She is having a teenage phase for sure! But she’s old enough to be spayed, so we’re hoping that will help and we can talk to her vet about our concerns. This behavior started at the beginning of her “puberty” shortly after she finished losing her puppy teeth.

We do try to greet people when we see them, because she HATES being surprised by strangers. It’s worst case scenario for sure. What’s odd though is that she LOVES the regular people in our social circle. We host people a lot, so she sees them at least weekly. I think it’s strictly strangers. I think the more she meets someone, the more comfortable she is. Which is tough in an apartment with high turnover. Constant strangers all the time.

I haven’t tried pattern games! I’ll do some research into that and give it a try.

@jamiem Just adding to the adolescence comment that my dog got a lot better at 13 months, just from maturity. A larger dog may take longer, but keep being patient and work consistently and it may improve on its own.

@jamiem Socialization needs to be renamed. Its not about greeting people, dog parks, doggy play dates or day care. Ideally, you want to your dog to be indifferent to new dogs, people etc. To stay by your side and just lay down. Thats it.

Don't force your dog into interactions. Don't push people into interacting with your dog. At minimum your just producing stress for your dog.

This post has a great chart about it. https://reddit.com/r/reactivedogs/s/vOjR9svoxO

@shilohmark Yeah we did the flooding technique once by allowing a waitress to approach our car and she came unglued, so that’s a hard no from me. It was a suggestion from a friend, and clearly they misunderstood what I was talking about when I was speaking to them about my dog. No more flooding for sure.

@hiccup The Routine: We do our wake up routine and go out to potty first. Then we have breakfast together, and then we play. Then she chews on her bone or plays independently while I get ready for work. If I’m going into work first, my husband is usually asleep still, and will entertain her after I leave until he goes to work(if he’s working that day). If we both leave she gets to chill out and play with her toys, graze, watch TV, snooze, whatever she wants. She’s only alone up to four hours. By then someone either comes home for lunch or comes home from work. We play and give attention, take her out to potty again, then come in and give her loves and attention. In the evening we have training time where we practice obedience while one of us makes dinner, then we have dinner with her, go for a walk/nighttime potty. Play and snuggle afterward, let her have some independent time, then it’s time for bedtime.

The details: Sometimes we take her out in public for a pupcup/treat, or over to a large yard a family member has and let her run around and play. We live in an apartment complex so it’s kind of a nightmare to take her on walks but I do it anyway because she needs the stimulation, exposure, and exercise. Her play usually consists of keep-away/tug, but sometimes she wants to fetch or wrestle. Her favorite independent activities are pushing a rock around our carpet and chewing on her bone. She’s allowed to roam while we’re not home because her barking at outside noises is actually pretty minimal for a dog that lives in an apartment complex and can’t see out the windows because they’re too tall, and she’s not destructive. We eat with her because otherwise she won’t eat her food. I guess she just has strong opinions about family meals. If she watches TV it has to be something chill or with lots of laughing/giggling in it because she loves the sound of laughter. Like right now she’s watching Impractical Jokers while she cuddles her toy. For her safety and our peace of mind, she does sleep in her kennel overnight but it is well cushioned and ventilated, and has a safe toy in case she gets bored overnight. If she needs anything she knows she can wake us up. Whether she needs to go potty, had a bad dream and wants to be comforted, is hungry, wants more water, she’s hot/cold, etc. She never whines at us without a reason.

Thoughts? Any changes you would suggest?

@jamiem I'm hearing a lot of "play, love and cuddles" and not nearly enough "work!" She needs a job, a good hour a day of no-nonsense drive activity. Running is great, but she definitely sounds like she needs at least an additional hour a day of an engaging activity that stimulates her mind while solidifying the bond and trust between you two and getting her TIRED!

I walked my Rottie for 2 hours a day and did intermediate training with him for an additional hour a day. During that time I was the one who chose what we did, where we went, and what tricks/activities we were working on that day. I would routinely teach him new tricks because he was so stinking smart. Are you training new tricks? She could probably do it!

She needs more intense activity with you in control, this will help her feel less insecure. She needs to know you have her back and you are her confident leader, someone she can turn to if she feels weird or people are acting weird. Upping your "working" time with her may help, and exhausting her body and mind will help her trust you more and feel at ease.

@oceanwaves I think this is an excellent suggestion. Can you give me some idea about what “work” can look like for her? We don’t have other pets or animals so there no one for her to keep in line or guard, we don’t have a yard so all our activities are either indoors or outdoors leashed, and I don’t want to encourage protective behavior like guarding because it just stresses her out. I think I’m not sure what to have her “do” so to speak.

@jamiem So originally rottweilers were carting dogs. You can look up some local dog carting groups and start getting her trained to pull a cart!

Additionally, you can get her a backpack and start packing some weight in it when you're out on walks. This will help to tire her out, too.

I commented below (I'm the Rottie owner!) as well, but I do suggest you hire a trainer, as well, so she can participate in these activities safely. A trainer will help give you a different perspective and maybe introduce some new tools (both physical and mental) to help you both.

@oceanwaves A backpack would be perfect!! I can find that for her. And I actually have been looking for a harness made to attach things to so we can get her some weight to pull around.

My dog LOVES to push rocks. Like…big rocks. She pushes and drags them all the time. She has three favorites right now, and she will alternate between them. We have two at our apartment and the carpet resistance gives her a challenge. Pushing around in sand/gravel is also a favorite of hers, and her biggest rock “Goliath” lives at our in-laws backyard. She will push and pull and shove and roll that thing. So would encouraging this type of play for her be helpful?