I’m just feeling so lost. What is next?

jamiem

My rottie is my first dog, and I admit that getting a large and often protective breed was not the smartest decision. I admit I didn’t understand the challenges clearly, and I’m glad I continued to do my research after getting her. I’m her owner so I’m responsible for her and I refuse to give up on her, I just don’t know what to try next.

TLDR; What’s next? We’ve tried a small one-person-sized trial of the flooding method while in our car. We’ve tried positive reinforcement with treats, praise, and affection. We’ve tried redirecting. We’ve tried allowing her to make whatever decision made her comfortable. We’ve tried reinforcing and rewarding obedience while around triggers. We’ve tried allowing people she doesn’t know, but are professionals, to handle her to build her trust in others. None of these have been successful with her.

She’s a year old now, and I love her so much. She’s a fantastic dog and loves our friends and adored the in-law’s dog. She knows so many commands, is intuitive, and endlessly entertains us with her funny personality. She loves to play, loves treats, loves scritches, and looks forward to training and playtime.

But outside? Oh. No that’s different.

Outside she is pushy, sometimes fearful, often disobedient, leash aggressive, reactive, loud, and makes other people and dogs very uncomfortable. When she’s outside in public, it’s a literal nightmare. She will bark and growl and lunge at any dog ( or dog-like thing like wagons and suitcases) regardless of distance. Sometimes people are ok as long as they are far away, and sometimes closer if the treat I’m trying to offer her to reinforce that “people and dogs are good and treats happen when they appear!” is good enough.

But there is no improvement. I’ve been working on it with her for about 9 months now, when it first started happening. I’ve tried so many different methods of positive reinforcement, I’ve tried letting her just exist in spaces to build her confidence. I tried a small form of flooding by allowing someone to approach our car and take our order (never. Again. Ever.) She’s not getting better, she is getting worse.

She is so wildly inconsistent. People approaching the vehicle to take our order? NO. Half a dozen people at a drive through window? No problem! Greeting new people at a family barbecue we didn’t know new people would be at off leash? Totally calm! Greeting a new person in a wide open space with plenty of room to escape on leash? NO!! Seeing a dog on TV? Sometimes that’s doable. Seeing a dog in real life? ABSOLUTELY NOT! Visiting the boarding facility? Nope that’s a little intimidating and god FORBID there is a strange dog in the office/run. But the staff at the boarding facility? No problem! Love them even though they are strangers!

She has n e v e r had a bad experience with a human or dog. Always positive. We have been so careful to monitor her experiences with other people and dogs, and made sure to always reward and reinforce positive association. She has never been kicked, slapped, bit, hit, harassed, shocked, choked, tied up, pushed, or yelled at. I just DO NOT understand where this reactivity, fear, and leash aggression comes from.

I admit she is not as socialized as I wanted her to be. I live in an area that has a lot of prejudice towards the “aggressive” breeds. (Pitties, Rotties, Boxers, etc. the usual breeds that renters won’t allow and nervous moms pick up the kids and cross the street) I didn’t even know that breed discrimination existed until we got our dog. She was a literal tiny puppy and no one wanted to say hello or pet her or let their dog play with her. I don’t understand why everyone expects her to be perfectly socialized when no one ever gave her a chance or the opportunity.

But she’s doesn’t deserve to live her life in an enclosed space just because she is reactive and uncomfortable. She deserves to have playdates and enjoy the groomer and be able to run at the park too. All of my training methods and trials have failed and I have no idea what to do next. I refuse to rehome her, I just want her to feel happy and confident and safe around strangers.

So what’s next?

@needadviceplease I'll "ditto" this recommendation, but add that it's best to do this while working in conjunction with a behaviorist (or best of all, a vet behaviorist, although I personally went the vet + behaviorist route.)

Pro tip: Meds can be even cheaper through chewy than at your regular vet!

Also, you didn't mention...have you worked with a behaviorist? It's really hard to get this all right if you just watch videos and read books (although those are fantastic, too). A behaviorist can catch onto things you don't even realize you're doing, like maybe not reinforcing quickly enough.

It also sounds like you've tried a LOT of methods in a fairly short period of time, so that could add to your pup feeling uncertain and insecure. It can take months of trying something before you really see a payoff.

In terms of books, I highly recommend "Feisty Fido," by Patricia McConnell. She's got loads of education and experience, and has been in this world way longer than I'm guessing anyone in this group.

Also, major kudos on being persistent and determined! Having any reactive dog is challenging, but it's exponentially moreso the bigger and more powerful they are!

@jamiem Depending on the drug it can be fairly cheap. My boy is on now on 30mg of fluoxetine(a 20mg and a 10mg cap) and for a 100 day supply I think it cost maybe $25 and that was from the vet. When he was on 20mg I had gotten it from Costco, and a 60-day supply was less than $10.

The expensive stuff is what he takes before a known high intensity trigger such as visiting the vet or the 4th of July. He gets trazadone and gabapentin before that, and the trazadone runs close to $1/pill.

@needadviceplease my reactive boerboel gets fluoxetine as well and it keeps her from worrying every minute of every day. she tolerates it well. Also, she is happiest in her own house and own yard, and literally no place else. At home, she is the best girl ever.

@jamiem OP please try this route. Medication made all the difference for my reactive dog.

It made her not as reactive, so we could then redirect with other things.

I’m only disappointed we didn’t start her on meds sooner.

@jamiem I would immediately look into pet insurance as a first time dog owner. I am a first time dog owner as of this year.

I got Lemonade, I pay ~$60/month they cover all accidents and illness and medications/diagnostics. The only thing I didn’t get covered was the annual wellness exam because it’s usually only about $100 once a year.

However pre-existing conditions is always in the fine print. So I would apply immediately, because they have a short wait period (couple days).

They cover 80% of all medical costs up to $20,000 per year.

@lippy1004 Thank you! I agree, and I’m so glad we got her insurance! I am thinking of switching companies so I appreciate your endorsement of Lemonade.

@jamiem Yeah, luckily we haven’t needed it. But when they needed my pups medical records, they contacted my local vet directly through email and CC’d me until the process was complete. I feel like they’re really transparent with everything they do, and that’s something I really appreciate. I also had endorsements from others about Lemonade that prompted me to get them in the first place.

So if you’re having trouble with yours, or they seem sketchy, I’d check out Lemonade.

Good luck with your new pup! We’re all in the same boat and rooting for ya

@jamiem You might also want to look at trupanion. I haven't had to use it yet, but it came highly recommended from a friend of mine that has a dog with epilepsy along with other issues.