I’d like to glean insight from those of you who feed human food DIY style

dailysaint

As some may know from my recent post, I’m trying to take my 6 y/o princess off kibble asap and get her to lose some good amount of weight. Here’s what I’d love to know:

1) How often and how much do you feed your dog?

2) What do you feed your dog? (protein sources, veggies, grain or no grain?)

3) How do you make sure it’s balanced?

4) Raw or cooked?

5) Do you weigh the food or meal prep?

6) We use a fish oil currently I just squirt in the food. Any other supplements you recommend?

@dailysaint I feed my dog once or twice a day, treats in between. I don't want him to be able to predict (and demand) food at certain times.

He gets fed roughly 75% muscle meat, 15% offal, 10% bone.

As much variety in species and types of offal/bone as possible. I also rotate in fresh sardines, eggs, berries, bone broth.

I don't weigh his food, I have a rough estimate in my head, and I go by how he's looking. Some days he'll look a little slim so I'll feed him a whole chook with its organs on the side. I like to find animal parts with fur still attached.

99% of his food is raw. Sometimes I'll dehydrate offal for treats etc

I don't work very hard right now and I don't have children. I have a lot of time and energy to devote to this. It is not expensive if you source your stuff from the right places.

@robkatch78 Thanks for the insight! I won’t have the time to feed the way you do bc I have two small kids and a lot on my plate as an often frequently solo parent doing it on my own. When you say “bone” though, what do you mean? Just bone broth or something else? and what is offal?

@dailysaint Oh, of course, that would make things really tough.

Bone meaning: chicken wings, chicken necks, Turkey wings/necks, marrow bones. basically anything that contains actual animal bones.
If you fed a chicken thigh with meat attached, it would count towards both muscle meat and bone content.

Offal is all organs! Which is really vital for health.

If you have serious time constraints and enough room, I would bulkbuy a lot of these when they're discounted and freeze them. There's a lot of advice out there that says you can't feed raw and kibble at the same time, but that is not true.

Feeding any amount of fresh food is going to be beneficial to the animals health. So as you adjust to the work, or if doing it for every meal is unrealistic, I think it's worth doing even sometimes.

Let me know if you have any questions! Always happy to talk dog diet:)

@dailysaint This is all based on my prior GSD who had issues with commercial food

1) Twice a day.

2) Poultry, peanut butter, sweet potato, green beans, spinach, rice, canola oil. Small amts of fish as a treat.

3) This is a great resource for making home-made pup food

http://support.mspca.org/site/DocServer/MSPCA-Angell_Generic_HM_15_lb_dog_diet.pdf?docID=1562

4) Cooked. I'm pretty firm on this. There's enough data showing that e-coli, salmonella etc are all present in our meat supply. I don't want to feed that to the dog or have it spread around on surfaces in the house.

5) I'm not sure what you mean. I made large batches for a week or two's worth at a time and froze it in bulk. I had an idea of how much he needed by weighing stuff out initially and converting that into cups.

6) I gave my boy human multivitamins (gummy) with the approval of my vet. He also got tums to ensure his calcium intake was sufficient.

Back