How to reward puppy for going potty outside when it’s 0°F outside?

@galinavot Was about to comment this. I bought some silicone travel tubes from amazon and fill them with a bit of a slurry I make in the blender with canned dog food, herring, dry food reconstituted with bone broth, and treat bag "dust" (like Cheeto dust 'cept from dog treat bags). She loves it.

It does take a little testing to get the consistency right (this site has more tube ingredient ideas, as well as a good visual of the consistency you want).

I make a bunch, freeze them, defrost in the fridge, and generally have one ready to go.

One tip: The tubes I linked have a bit of a "membrane" that is probably great for lotion and shampoo but not great for dog slurry. So I just took one and cut the the membrane to be much larger and swap out the tops as needed.

The other suggestion I was going to make, /@yesnice, is finding treats that are more like sausages or jerky and letting your dog gnaw a piece off works pretty well, and it's firm enough to hold up in a pocket (or you can just carry one around in one hand).

LASTLY: I've totally thought about a Pez-style treat dispenser. Let me know if anyone finds one. :)

@galinavot Where I live you can get liver paste/ paté (to put on sandwiches etc) in metal tubes. For winter, these are my go-to outdoor treat solution. It's comparatively healthy, easy to use even with thick mittens, doesn't go bad easily, and my dog goes crazy over it.

@yesnice Let them bite off the end of a hot dog?
Also - it is possible for delayed gratification for dogs but you have to time it right. Like, if my dog was in the backyard, pooped, I would get all excited and run to the back door where I have a stash of treats immediately ready. If you are talking about a walk outside and minutes later you return to treat, that’s too long and they won’t connect the behavior and reward.

@lishacccc Yes. If you have trained "yes!" or a click or something else, you can totally use the marker and then hurry to get the treat. Dog will know that they did a good thing and the slow human is leading them to a treat (also works in the house: saying "yes!" and quickly leading the way to the kitchen for a high-value reward).

The key is to be fast enough that a squirrel or bug or whatever doesn't catch the dog's attention before you're able to follow through on the reward.

@yesnice Carry it in your hand and give it to them immediately- also use a clicker. They will associate a click with a treat so it gives you some time to give them their treat!

@yesnice If you're only outside for a few minutes, just carry the treat directly in your gloved hand. I just did that during agility class this morning in 19º weather. I had leftover steak and some cheese. I did not wear my favorite gloves.

@yesnice Treat in hand inside glove! Glove comes off, treat given, glove back on. I feel you, it’s -47C today where I live. My dogs are pooping with lifted paws 🥶

@josier Where the hell do you live and why?! Humanity wasn’t meant to exist in -50 degree weather! You are a stronger person than I am lol. I tap out out at 20 degrees.

Do you have booties for your dogs? I recently moved to the east coast from the south (US) and we’ve had a bit of snow here. My Leoric LOVES snow. He’d never seen it before we moved, and initially refused to leave the doorstep when he saw all that white stuff on the ground—but now he goes careening through it, falling into hidden drifts, chasing clods of snow he kicks up, wagging his Pomeranian tail like a madman. He gets so excited about it that I worry that he’s not thinking about his cold little feet :( I don’t want his pads to be damaged.

The vet told me I’m a “helicopter parent”, so maybe I’m just being paranoid. Lol

@harry2013 Oh yes they definitely have boots!! We live in the northern part of Canada, it’s cold in winter but honestly it’s amazing. We know how to dress for it and it’s a paradise for the dogs in winter!
There is nothing more amazing than seeing a dog in snow for the first time🥰 I’m so happy you were able to give your dog that!
Both our dogs have different thresholds for needing boots. They will always let us know by lifting a paw and giving you a tragic look lol. If you don’t see your boy lifting then I’m sure he’s fine! You can also use a paw wax, which adds some protection (from salt as well as cold) and is also super good for keeping their pads soft. We use dr Maggie’s!

@josier Lol I cracked up at the Tragic Look line. Leo’s never made that face in response to snow, but he HAS made it. Mostly when he realizes that yes, I am going to eat the rest of the food on my plate and no, he’s not going to get any; or, yes, I am going to keep spraying him with the shower head because it’s bath time, and no, he does not get to climb out of the tub. 🤣

@yesnice I’ve heard of people putting wet dog food or something similar into a squeeze bottle and then you can just squeeze a little bit out?

Some other things I’ve been doing this winter to make being outside in the cold easier: We bought electric handwarmers to put in our pockets when we walk and it’s a game changer. I also bought a waist belt to attach the leash to so I can keep my hands in my pockets more, and my hands more free to pick up poop, give treats, etc. when needed.

@yesnice i hold the treats in my hand the entire time with the gloves on. I use zukes which are pretty solid so it’s not too messy. i also have a poop bag in my pocket that is already opened to conveniently grab and bag. at this point i just ask the pup if she wants a treat and tell her to go potty and she does her business and comes right to me expecting her treat.

@yesnice At that temperature you should be wearing mittens and not gloves. That will keep your hands nice and cosy so that it won't be a problem taking them off for a minute.

Back