How to look at dog food critically and avoid the marketing BS

balkan

If you want to know how good a dog food is, look for the following:

1) Read the AAFCO statement. Is the food "formulated", whereby someone copied a recipe or plugged some numbers into a computer and called it a day, or was it actually tested according to AAFCO protocols to prove its claims?

2) Look for brands that meet WSAVA standards.

3) Look at the nutrients of the food. At a minimum, compare the kibble's protein, fat, calcium, and phosphorus percentages an a DRY MATTER BASIS to the standards set out in Small Animal Clinical Nutrition (SACN) for your dog's life stage. You will probably have to ask the company for this information, but some of them put it on their website.

Here are some of the nutrient recommendations for a "normal", healthy adult dog:

Protein: 15-30%
Fat: 10-20%
Calcium: 0.5-1.0%
Phosphorus: 0.4-0.8%
Sodium: 0.2-0.4%
Vitamin E: >400

There are different recommendations for the remaining life stages - if you would like to know the above recommendations for a different lifestage, I can provide that info. Even a 0.1 deviation in minerals is a BIG difference. Stay within SACN's recommended ranges.

Oh, and just because the nutrients are good for one formula doesn't mean all formulas that brand makes are good. It's important to check this information on any food you consider feeding - even WSAVA recommended brands.

5) Did a board certified veterinary nutritionist formulate the food? Companies, like Wellness, are very good at manipulating words to make it seem like they have veterinary nutritionists on staff when they do not. Side note: Wellness also skirts around the issue of whether they test their food. They don't, but they really manipulate what they say to make it seem like they do.

Avoid the influencers who focus on ingredients and not nutrients - they have fallen for the marketing trap too and don't know actual nutrition. Most of them also misrepresent themselves and focus more on demonizing large corporations and scaring/guilting people.

6) Look for a food specifically formulated for your dog's life stage. Avoid "all life stages" foods. It's very difficult to make a food that provides optimal nutrition for every life stage - the nutrient recommendations for each life stage are too different. One size does not fit all when it comes to dog food.

Anyways, this is this is a way to see past the marketing BS and evaluate a food to see if it delivers optimal nutrition. If it doesn't meet the above criteria, move on and evaluate a different food.

Edited to add: Note that, even if following the above recommendations, not all foods will work well for all dogs. You may have to try different formulas to find the right one, but that does not negate the importance of the above.

@balkan Great information. I learned a lot from Pet Food Puzzle Guy and AnimalDocRae on YouTube. They use this same model to rate dog food on their channels.

@balkan Love this post!

Question for you,: What are "all life stages" foods for? Like do they make it just for lazy people or something? (I'm lazy AF, no shade against lazy people)

We had a bear of a time finding an adult food for our picky princess of a dog. She thinks she's a baby bird, so she wants small kibble. But she's actually a 50 pound lunatic, so kibble for small dogs is out of the question. I swear to you we tried what felt like every bag of Hills and Pro Plan Sport adult food at the store. Then we stumbled on a Pro Plan Sport Performance 30/20 All Life Stages kibble that is for some reason puppy-sized. And she loves it and is doing fabulous on it. I will switch her to a lower protein/fat or senior food when it's time, but for now I love this food for her.

We cleared it with our vet and she's a perfect 4/9 or 5/9 depending on the day. I also think it's been better for her than the Hills adult 1-7 food, which wasn't formulated for canine (wannabe) athletes and meant she had to eat more by volume and also made more poop. So maybe the formulation for athletes negates some of the "all life stages"-ness of it? Hmmm.

@linhmaiha I also have this question! Currently feeding all three of my dalmatians an "all life stages" food (Ultimates Sensitive Lamb brand) - Aged 8 years, 4 years, and almost 5 months. Wondering if this is the right route or if I'm being too lazy and causing any potential harm by doing this..

@linhmaiha Anecdotally, all life stages foods in my experience are adult foods. I’ve had puppies we fed all life stages foods to and they didn’t grow as substantially as they should have. If you have puppies, then I’d look for a specific puppy formula.

@balkan Yes to all the things you stated. Also, whatever doesn’t make your dog sick lol. None of the “better” foods worked for my dog. She gets diarrhea from anything but Hill’s. So Hill’s it is!

@balkan I’ve heard some people put this brand down, but we’ve been feeding our 2 dogs this (somewhat more expensive) food for years - and the dog’s health seems to reflect its goodness. But - more thoughts?

@hesta Great reason! My friend’s dogs do best on Purina One digestive health. Since we spend a lot of time together with our dogs, including travel with the dogs, mine are on it too. That way if one of the dogs eats another dogs food they aren’t going to have stomach upset from it. Plus, we can borrow from each other in a pinch if we need.

@balkan Hopefully Iams mini chunks are still good. It's the only food that doesn't make my pit mix itch and lose all her hair. And I can't go any more expensive.

Back