How much exercise does an ACD actually need? How do you know if they need more?

@bibleloverbill Sounds like it's going pretty well!

Here's a sample of our day: 40-60 min walk a.m., fetch at lunch, 60-80 min walk after work. Sometimes one more fetch or a short bike ride if he's squirrely. Frozen kong before bed. Breakfast kibbles scattered on the lawn for nosework. On rainy days sub nosework games or obedience and tricks, play. In the house we've worked on going to lay in a place calmly or he whines and annoys people. Obviously some days are busy or sick (or he's injured yet another claw...) and he's pretty tolerant of some shorter walk days.

If behaviours develop, I'd look into mixing it up from walks: biking, fetch, nosework, agility, herding ball, etc. I find a good run or chase game more powerful than a long walk.

On walks, I carry dinner kibbles in my pocket, use frequently. Stop, sit, treat. Walk, ask for attention, treat when heeled. Turn, treat when following. Capture every good moment. Use them to hold attention when passing crazy things like squirrels.

@bibleloverbill I used to think my ACD needed miles of walks and runs to make him calm but I realized (after two years) that he just wants to be near me and playing lots of fetch indoors with some chew toys thrown in.

@bibleloverbill I have a 2.5 yr old male red healer. He is an absolute lover. If your new dog is cuddling it is because they need it. Mine is kinda lazy. Where his dad ( my daughter has the dad) is nonstop. All dogs have different personalities. If you dog lost his 1st family and he has found you do what works for you the dog will adapt.
They are great dogs, enjoy.

@bibleloverbill It really depends on your dog because not all ACDs are the same. Some of my friends that have ACDs say they’re dog lays around all day and has no interest in fetch or games at all. My dog in terms of energy is pretty average but she has another dog to run around with. Some ACDs have to be active all day. You just need to gauge your dog. I worried all the time when see was a pup that she wasn’t getting enough exercise but they let you know.

@bibleloverbill Every dog is different, sounds like yours is very happy! Ilsa can definitely be a huge couch potato. She loves to play fetch but even a half hour of her sprinting is enough to work wonders. If she's not getting enough exercise she'll let you know though. She becomes more difficult lol. And tries to dig on the bed.