How long did it take for your puppy to get used to walks?

mickey1989

My puppy doesn't like walks. She likes when people say hi to her, she loves saying hi to other dogs, she just doesn't seem to like the walking part. I think part of it (most of it) is the harness. She doesn't like to putting on despite me trying to make it a positive experience, at least now she doesn't bite me in the process. Recently I had to change the harness because her first one it's already too small. The old one was a Y shape, this one is a H shape.

What did you guys do to make walks more appealing for your puppy? Do I just wait until she gets used to her new harness? I wish she enjoyed walks, sniffing and discovering new places.

@mickey1989 I can't help much with longer walks but remember to let your puppy have good associations to the harness, wear it when doing fun stuff perhaps

@wayne1 I've tried that. Treats and playtime, but she usually stops in the middle of whatever we are doing to try and get it off. I guess I do have to keep trying.

@mickey1989 Most of the trainers I talked to (obedience school and breeder suggested trainer) recommend collars, and I'm using one as well, he doesn't mind it apart the ocassional scratch. For walks, I'd try to go to remote forests first where he can run without a worry. For that I'd suggest a long leash, you could later on not hold the leash and let him run around freely, but still be in range so you can grab it.

My trainer suggested minimizing exposure to a lot of stimuli as puppies get over excited easily, so busy street walks or neighborhood walks should be once or twice a week. I made the mistake and mostly took him around the neighborhood and forest walks were once or twice a week, but now I've switched them and I feel him already starting to mellow out, as before he was extra aroused all the time.

@forlovessake Today, as soon as I could, I went and bought a collar. Only took my puppy two times to walk with it but already so much better. She seems to actually enjoy the activity and so I enjoy it too. The collar is so much better for redirecting/correcting too.
Thank you so much for the advice!

As for taking to the forest I can't do that every day, but I live near some parks that are pretty quiet, so I'll try there.

@mickey1989 Mostly areas which have lower density of people, dogs, cars etc. To have less stimuli for the pup. So that works!

So glad to hear it helped! I've heard harnesses are not that good for puppies as it restricts their range of motion and it can hinder or hurt their front leg development. Have fun on the walks! 😊