How I've (new owner) spent $4629 on a Puppy in 4 months. Each purchase (or store run) list + rough breakdown at the bottom

vido

Forgive my really awkward chart...I couldn't copy and paste my spreadsheet so long story short here we are.

4/15
Pepper

4/15
Waterbowl, crate, bed, toy, food

4/17
toys, treats, food, collar, leash,

4/19
Enzyme Cleaner

4/20
tick medication, pee pads, toys

4/20
door bells

4/20
tick kit

4/20
Harness

4/21
baby pool, toys

4/23
canned food

4/23
kongs

4/23
many poop bag

4/24
growth chart

4/28
shots, uti treatment

5/3
Embark DNA

5/5
Bigger Pool

5/5
Rubber Duckies

5/6
floatie toys

5/6
Dry food

5/7
PB Hooves

5/10
Casper Bed

5/12
Carseat Hammock (AMAZING)

5/12
2nd round of natures miracle lol

5/15
More Hooves

5/16
toys, treats, food

5/16
Backpack, medical supplies

5/15
Foldable exercise pen

5/16
Frisbee

5/21
RC Pet Harness

5/22
Herding balls

5/29
Brushies

5/31
Food (that she also does not like)

5/30
Brushies

5/30
170 oz Natures miracle

6/5
Long leash

6/6
Wobble bowl

Rest of June
Fluent Pet Buttons, Toys, Pupbox

July
Pupbox, food, treats, collar

Insurance for the year

Rest of Shots

Antibiotics and stool sample after deworming

Jeans that have been ruined and replaced

Total
$4629.11

---

Category Cost
Pup

Food
So much unliked food, we've swapped A LOT. We also buy pretty expensive stuff, some raw, we do frozen raw bones, Instinct, and puppy dry instinct kibble, tried candidae and a few other brands she was not down.

Treats
She devours while training.

Health
Shots, UTI, roundworms + medkit that I used at the dog park after she was bitten today.

Insurance
Worth.

DNA Test
Wanted to ensure she was okay.

Training Buttons
This has been a blast.

Collars/Harness
One more round for $40 in a month or so and then that's that.

Water Bowl/Poo bags

Toys
...IM NOT EMBARRASSED YOU'RE EMBARRASSED.

Baby gate/Crate

Jeans

Worth it.

Edit: I'm cracking up at the responses to the toys. I can't necessarily say that I've spent a flat $1000 on toys. $300 of that was replacement pants (seriously), a crate $150, and a baby gate ($100). It was the last category left and it was late so I shlept it all in there and went to bed. :)

@vido Wow, why is everyone judging this person for buying £1000 worth of toys?
If I had a spare £1000, if happily spend it on my boys. Please don't be so quick to judge others, you don't know how much disposable income this person has or their circumstances.

I love this sub because everyone is usually so positive and helpful, this has made me really sad and I'm sure OP feels the same. They were just excited to share some information and let others see their excel sheet.

Yes, lots of dogs love inexpensive toys, my boys love empty plastic bottle and will spend hours chasing them round but other dogs like a variety of toys, I'm not going to rag on someone for buying lots of toys or buying themselves £300 jeans, I can't afford £300 Jeans but good for OP of they can.

Let's all just be kind to each other please ❤️

@grampa I edited! It was late and I just wanted to go to bed so I pooped everything into the last category, oops! I didn't realize it would cause a stir! I bought 300 worth* of jeans - 5 pairs, aka my whole wardrobe! She's a herder so she has monched all of them.

I am not sad! I know for a fact that I spend a lot on her, she has brought me back into life and I am spoiling her for it. We waited 7 years after wanting a dog to get one so that we could not worry about expenses!

It was more as a, "I think a dog will cost $2000 total" vs my reality!

Thank you so much for your comment!

(my dog has 3 plastic bottles, and favors plastic wrappers from the trash). ;)

@vido Awww darling, you just sound like the best doggie parent ever, I love how happy you are with your pup! I waited a long time for my boys too (15 years) and they're hearders too so absolutely understand and have also lost many socks, shoes and a shirt to their need to nibble lol

I couldn't stand the thought that you might have been sad at everyone's reactions to your list, you've done so much for you pup and seemed so very happy and excited, im glad to hear you're not upset.

I like how honest your list was and it's a fantastic thing for potential puppy owner to think about when saving for a puppy.

Plastic bottles and knotted rags are my boys favourite things too lol

@grampa I dont buy all the expensive toys.
My pups favourite thing is toilet roll cores 🤷🏻‍♂️ give that a go if they like a empty bottle. I love seeing my pup with something new. I'll give a empty bottle a go. Thanks!

@ambrose94 Mine pulled a plastic cup from the recycling basket and chased it around the room for a good half hour.

I was like, “you have ALL THESE NICE FUN COLORFUL CHEWY AND SOFT TOYS AND YOU GO AND PICK THE GODDAMN CARDBOARD BOX AND THIS STUPID CUP!?”

Only thing i replace now are his balls that we play fetch outside on the rooftop with. They get dirty or he chews them up pretty good.

@ambrose94 Dor my pup any carton box will do. I hide a small treat and fold it and let him shred it. Egg boxes work great too. That is why I have a box of boxes in my kitchen from cereals, eggs, deliveries, food items etc.

@ambrose94 I’ve found that putting an old sock around the bottle helps with the noise lol, just gotta watch it when it starts ripping up too much

@fullofspirit My boys love toilet roll and kitchen roll insides too but my boys eat them if you don't watch them like a hawk 🙄
Just make sure you screw the bottle top on hard so they can get it off and swallow it 😬

@mybrokenlessthenthree I mean my pup is a 2.8kg 13 week old mini poodle. Struggles with chewing anything 😂 tbh he gets it all wet and then tries to pull it apart. And I just keep an eye on him

I have watching toys. And independent toys.

@mybrokenlessthenthree My pup loves an empty water bottle and spends ages systematically shredding it into tiny peices, after watching her like a hawk for a while she also systematically spits out every piece she shreds off so I get the pleasure of having to clean it up later lol. It's entirely dependant on your pups personality, I'm sure a lot could not be trusted but ours never seems to swallow anything she destroys thankfully!