How feasible is it to have a dog if you have depression?

thewordgirl

I suffer from depression/anxiety and I hear that dogs can be literal life savers. However, I’m not sure how I’d be able to care for a dog if I struggle to care for my self. I’d love to hear from British dog owners on the reality of owning a dog in the UK and if it’s feasible if you suffer with mental health issues.

@thewordgirl This is something that you’re going to have the best answer to. I find that in 10x better at taking care of animals than myself because I don’t want to be responsible for their harm. So because of that, I get out of bed super early so they can pee, and get out of the house/ exercise multiple times a day because they need to walk. And they need to play, so free joy for me. And the cuddles are such a huge bonus. They’re totally lifesavers. But if you think you wouldn’t be able to do this, you would make your life and theirs significantly worse. There are significant consequences for not taking care of their needs. (When people’s dogs chew things, pee in the house, are aggressive etc it’s a reflection of their owners. Also you can make your dog depressed). It’s not the kind of thing you can just put off until tomorrow or avoid. I have absolutely no empathy and a lot of distain for people who get dogs and then choose to neglect them. The dog isn’t a magical happy pill. So it’s up to you. But if you wouldn’t take care of them 500% don’t do it to them. You could try fostering.

@thewordgirl It really depends on the flavour of your depression. If you can consistently make yourself go outside for at least 15 minutes twice a day, keep the floors tidy/safe from things that can hurt the dog or make it sick, and provide it fresh food and kibble daily, you can totally handle a dog. That said, that doesn’t mean you can handle any or every dog, so make sure you know what you’re getting into.

Go check out your local shelter and look for an older, reasonably responsive, house trained dog that doesn’t need much exercise. No puppies, no energetic dogs, no problem behaviours that need consistent training.

@thewordgirl You might consider getting a cat instead. You don't have to walk/exercise a cat and they are much more independent. Dogs are a lot of work. if you can't take care of yourself, adding to the mix is not going to help you.

@seekinganswers411 I second the cat idea. On your bad days you can either cuddle with the cat or ignore it, on bad days with a dog you still have to drag yourself out of bed and go for a walk. This is especially hard if the weather is gross out (at least I feel this way personally).

@thewordgirl Dogs give you a sense of purpose, which is nice, but it's also a responsibility and a living being to care for. I certainly laugh more in a day, I get to care for the sweetest little baby and I walk about 14000 steps a day.

Don't get a puppy. A puppy is a lot of work. I would not have been able to do it without my partner.

@thewordgirl A dog is a big responsibility - but if you're really into it, it doesn't need to be a brutal challenge. I'm on my second dog. I have bipolar disorder. When I got my first dog, a big damaged rescue boy, the learning curve was huge. I was also quite early into treatment for my disorder, and my life was a bit chaotic. The dog, however, gave me all the motivation I needed - they REALLY let you know how they feel, and it feels really good. We had our difficulties, but we managed - it's a whole tale to itself. He was a Rottweiler cross, lots of spaniel in there too. A placid dog unless aroused, and happy to adapt to my schedule. My current dog is a Heeler cross, hugely energetic and VERY demanding. She IS my schedule. An hour before dawn, that telltale dent in my bed beside my head lets me know she's staring. She makes me go to the park, makes me socialize with the old folks there (she recruits them with her ball). She makes me see every sunrise, and I wouldn't see a one without her. She makes me go out and walk even when I feel AWFUL - because if I don't, she feels awful. She is the star around which I revolve, and I am very, very grateful for that. I follow my mother's basic rules: The dog must have clean water at all times. The dog must have adequate, good food, twice a day. The dog must have clean bedding. The dog must be exercised at least twice daily (my girl demands 4-5 times). To that I will add: The dog requires structure, and will help you build it. The dog requires territory and range, which are different things but basically mean you need to walk it and should repeat your routes. And this dog requires treats. Here you go honey.

If you are considering a first dog, please consider adopting an adult. My current dog I got as a puppy, and if I had not learned so much from my first dog (who was a ruined adult and such a good boy) - I would have messed it up.

@kylein I have a blue heeler too. My ex got her for me at the animal shelter he worked at. She went through a horrible chewing phase, but lots of toys, training, treats and a bazillion-trillion tennis balls later, my girl is my bestest friend ever! She's also my service dog.
I suffer from Degenerative Joint and Disc disease, When I'm having a bad pain day, and super sad and depressed, she cuddles right up by me, as if to say, it's ok, I'm here for you!

Dogs are so awesome!

@iaras Oh, did I get nibbled and nipped when my girl was a baby. 'Soft mouth' took weeks of two-hour pain sessions teaching her the limits. And there were months of stopping in the hallway and waiting until she stopped eating my foot - ten minutes to get down to the front room for leash-up. Treats are key - she likes Jobs with Pay. She's half heeler - her Mom - on her father's side, she's Ridgeback and Golden (and probably some noise). She's my little pumpkin-coloured dingo, the town's traffic warden and a true ball-toss maniac.

@kylein Oh I'm so happy for you! I don't think I could do a puppy again. My dog-gone, no pun intended lol, achey-breaky bone diseases are getting worse, I'm glad my girl slowed down a bit, but of course if you say the magic phrase, "where's your ball?" Oh my goodness! Zoomies!
See what happens when you get a dog too? You start talking to complete strangers on reddit about your 'baby' and sharing stories. I'm sorry I got off topic. Kittens are good for those that don't have the energy or time for a dog. Make sure you get those muthah-fluffers fixed before their first heat and vaccines too! Same with dogs as well.
My pupper has done amazing things for my depression and anxiety and all around blah feeling. I still have afore mentioned pain in the rear things mainly due to my chronic pain from my achey-breaky bone diseases.

I wish you the best of luck and hopefully there will be an update.
PS I never knew reddit even had a dog page! I just found it today!
Good luck, merry Christmas and happy new year to all y'all!

@thewordgirl Getting a dog made me realise something that I had been missing for years. I grew up in a village in surrey and spend many of my holidays from school roaming around the countryside. When I got my dog I would take him down to the river near where I live (now in Canada) and walk him along the banks, through the trees and along the grassy verges and it brought me back to remembering how much I loved being outside and in nature. I have a few different places I walk my dogs but I love being outside every day getting the fresh air even in minus 20. Some days I’m tired and will walk around the neighborhood instead but my favourite walks is when I can let them off leash and run around. They always love you and are loyal and are so happy to see you. They can be a lot of work as puppies but once they’re out of that stage they’re fairly low maintenance, a walk or two a day, feeding and I have one of the big watering things that you fill up and it lasts a few days. Research the breed so you buy one that doesn’t need a ton of grooming or high energy that needs three hours of exercise or something ridiculous. But my dogs help my mental health, get me outside and love me unconditionally