Herm Sprenger correct fit tips

dan2804

I bought a 3.0 18” Herm Sprenger prong collar for my mixed breed dog. She’s about a year old, weighs in just under 50 lbs. To get the fit right, I have to remove 4 links. Is this right? Do I need a different size collar?

@dan2804 That will work however I usually prefer to use the 2.25mm Herm Sprenger with just about any size dog except the very biggest, and then just add extra links if needed. If you don't want to buy or exchange though it will work fine.

@dan2804 I literally just dealt with this exact same issue/question this week. I have a 55+ pound mix breed and bought the 3.0 HS collar based on weight recommendation. It felt like I had to remove too many prongs to make it fit and it seemed like I didn’t have as much control as I wanted. There were only a couple prongs on each side because my dog also has a thinner neck. He has a staffy head and a sighthound looking, skinny body. So, I returned it and got the 2.25 and added a quick release buckle (I struggled to pinch the prongs to take the collar on and off) and I’m really glad I did. The fit is better and I think I have more precise control.

@dan2804 I also watched a few Tom Davis videos (💗 his training videos) and a couple others’. Tom said he often prefers the 2.25 for most except more giant breeds, so I followed his advice. I watched so many of his prong collar videos to help me better understand handling and corrections. There is a finesse he has with the collar and corrections that I am working towards and apparently the smaller prongs help . But having said that, many also have good success with the 3.0 if that’s the route you go…

@dan2804 Herm Sprenger did just create a small link 3.0mm for dogs with smaller necks if you’re more comfortable using the 3.0 gauge.
I do the 3.0 for most of my clients because the feel more comfortable with the larger gauge and the softer dogs are less sensitive to it. The small link collar is a great alternative to the regular 3.0 for dogs with smaller necks

Back