Help with training for constant barking at people walking by

twilafriday

I have a 4 year old ACD that I’ve had since he was 8 weeks old and I’m not sure what to do about the barking. We have a fenced in yard that he’s allowed free rein of but you can see through the fence (we rent so I can’t put a different fence up). We live in a moderately busy neighborhood. People walk by a lot, people walk dogs by, UPS & FedEx are up and down the street once a day. My dog barks at everyone that moves past the house. He does not listen to recall when he’s like this and usually I have to physically go outside and herd him back inside or on the porch. He will not listen to “leave it” or “come” during these times (but in other circumstances he listens to these commands 100% of the time). It doesn’t matter how tired he is, he will absolutely bark at someone walking by. If, by chance, someone stops at the fence and says hello etc, he melts and turns into a big wiggly butt ham. I don’t believe it’s an “aggressive” bark but more so he’s nosey and he wants to interact with everyone.

Yes, I think he’s properly exercised and stimulated. I work part time so between my partners schedule and mine he’s typically only alone 1-2 days a week for 4-5 hours at time. We have access to a 70 acre campground and we run and fetch there daily. We walk. We feed him using puzzle feeders. We practice tricks. We play in the yard. When it’s warm out we swim, a lot. Making sure he’s exercised and happy is my first priority everyday. But, he could be exhausted, napping in the sun, if someone walks by—boom he’s up and barking. I’d like to add that on walks, he is not reactive. He does not bark at dogs or people and generally minds his business and is a good leash walker.

Suggestions on training for this? I’m not really interested in a bark collar and I’d hate to just ban him from hanging outside when laying in the sun or sniffing the yard is all he wants to do some days! Help me help him ☺️

@twilafriday Don’t let him outside without you there with a drag line. If he starts barking and is too over threshold to listen, gently use the drag line to get him away from the threshold and start working with him on ignoring the things further and further away from the threshold until you get to the point where he can still listen. Then treat jackpots. You can gradually reduce the distance but the goal is for him to start pairing scary thing to treats and focus on you, not scary thing and go run and back. But you probably won’t be able to give him unmonitored backyard access for at least 6 months to a year to break the habit. TBH it’s a bad idea anyway. You can also rig up an inner fence or area he can access away from the direct barrier he’s barking through.

@galdrun We have thought about building a secondary fence within the yard that would restrict him to the backyard where he plays and can’t see too much of anyone walking by—that may be easier than keeping him inside. We lived in a van and traveled full time up until til he was about 2, so he just wants to be outside 24/7 but not with this behavior! By drag line, do you mean a long lead???

@twilafriday Yeah, drag line is usually just a longer rope attached to the collar/harness, allowing you quick control by stepping on the end if they get too far. A regular lead/leash with a loop handle could work, but be more prone to catching on things if you have lots of obstacles in the yard.

If/when you can get control, I’ve found it helps to then stand directly in their line of sight to block the distraction and get their attention back to you.

@jd98 Just be aware that if you try to block with your body and your dog has any tendency to redirect, you're putting yourself in danger

@twilafriday Do you know if your dog has a threshold you could work with counter conditioning? Does he bark at people across the street as well as on your side, or is there a distance he can handle? Training for this would probably look like spending time out there with him and seeing if it is at all possible to intervene before he reacts by treating or offering a toy as an alternate behavior. Unfortunately if he’s been doing this for a long time, he’s been practicing for a long time so it will take awhile to undo. I honestly would keep him inside for awhile when you are not actively training him because inconsistency will make things go way slower or stall progress completely.

@obadimu Thank you. He barks at them even way down the street too! He hears everything 😂 I have spent some time with him on the porch redirecting before he starts to really get into it but now that it’s winter our porch is full of wood and it’s not possible right now. I think I’ll have to put more time into that. You’re right, he’s been doing this for 2 years since we lived in his house, it’s going to take a while to break him of this habit.