Help with my 7 month puppy’s sudden fear/reactivity! Night from hell

bereanmom

My puppy (an Aussie) has been having issues with general reactivity since January when he was ~6 months old. That first bout of barking at dogs and people we saw on walks lasted about 3-4 weeks (with training) and then he was almost back to his old self.

3 nights ago, he started acting anxious towards the dishwasher and wouldn’t sleep until it was off. 2 nights ago we went to through the night of hell where he woke up around 11pm after only an hour of sleep, barking. I couldn’t get him to settle until 3:30am, and then was up again at 4am. I live in an apartment so having him bark it out isn’t an option, and he’s been a superstar in the crate up until this point. This definitely isn’t attention barking….he was reacting to the faint sounds of trains and cars outside which has never phased him in the past.

The following day we went to the vet. All clear on medical issues and they prescribed him trazodone until we can get into a behavioralist in early March. Pup was exercised and sooo tired when we went to bed but still was insane from about 12-2:30am and was restless every 2 hours.

Nothing in our routine has changed. We do about an hour worth of walking/trail running every day plus either fetch or herding ball. I try to do a few dedicated training sessions a day plus making him sit or wait to work his brain for things throughout the day.

Has anyone else experienced this? I am DREADING going to bed tonight. We’re working on the long term help but definitely need so hope/advice in the short term.

@bereanmom Not an expert, but he’s about the right age for the second fear period in puppies. Also, I play white noise for my 1 yo at night - we’re next to a busy road in an urban area - and it seems to help.

@petie1106 That’s what I think too, but this is next level 😂. I also have been using a white noise machine! Hopefully he just needs a little time to get over this. Thanks for your reply!

@bereanmom I have a sheltie who, as a herder, is also quite sound sensitive. As an adolescent he also because quite concerned about household noises he had been quite habituated to (like the dryer or washing machine). It played out like a fear period often does with the reaction subsiding in a short time. I remember a vet behaviorist once saying that they now think that adolescence (6 - 18 months or so) will likely get a number of fear periods. She said "like with human teenagers, adolescence for dogs might be one long fear period." I thought that was funny and likely correct.

I feel for you in your apartment situation where you're not able to easily let him learn to console himself. That can be a challenge. In addition to the white noise machine, you might want to have some "soothers" like likimats or snuffle rugs handy for him. Sounds like you're doing everything right and just going through a patch with him, though it does, of course, bear watching.

Back