[Help] My 7 y/o baby boy broke his k-9 tooth today 😢

thatguy94

Drake broke his tooth today chewing on a nylabone. He is a rescue back from Hurricane Harvey in Texas. When I got him he had bad/ worn teeth from biting at cages. I have a Vet appointment tomorrow. Anyone had a dog break a tooth before? I feel like an awful parent and wanna know if I can be doing anything to strengthen his teeth. He loves chewing bones but now I'm scared to give him any. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

@thatguy94 Nylabones are unfortunately notorious for that. Our veterinary dentist recommends only chews that you can dent with your nail or that don’t hurt if you tap it on your kneecap.

@cactus_lil Thank you for the advice. I normally get him those hollow bones full of treat and haven't had an issue. Unfortunately they were attracting pest so I tried a nylabone today. He literally had it for less than 5 minutes.

@thatguy94 That sucks. My dog came to me with 12 very worn down teeth, we extracted them a few years ago but her canines remain at risk for horizontal fractures.

Our vet implemented a rule, no extreme hard chews. If you can't dent it with your fingernail then it poses a dental fracture risk. We tossed out all the nylabones and hard stuff.