he antagonized and then called her dangerous

@alionka0013 As a small woman, it's just the truth whether you know that or not. They're the only subset of people who still call me "sugar, sweetie, honey" to demean me and they're the only subset of people who actively mansplain things to me that I could not possibly know, that's what they think anyway. They are the subset of people who will try to put the moves on my literally 12 year old CHILD without a thought. Spoiled entitled pricks is my experience with them and if they don't like the fact that they're called out for it then they should stop acting that way.

@brumback1221 Clearly you have bigger issues. Maybe it's not other people. Glad to see you brought all your xx chromosome hate friends over to downvote. Congrats. Generalizing hate against age groups or men is not OK. We all have negative experiences with all people.

@jarebearftw What’s interesting is that things like this happen to me and my dog too, but never when my dog is with his male dog walker. I can’t help but think that my dog getting unwanted attention and the other party not listening to me when advocating for his boundaries, is related to my being a woman who also looks significantly younger than I actually am. Sorry that happened. It’s so frustrating.

@mcpugh Yes. Men love to give me unsolicited advice about my dog, ESPECIALLY if I have had to vocalize a boundary. The situation usually turns into something similar to what happens if you respond to someone catcalling you by telling them to knock it off. And it never happens when my dog is instead with someone who is masculine-presenting. It's totally a misogynistic boundary issue, and I'm really sorry that someone was so shitty to you and your girl, OP.

@mcpugh I've heard this a lot from other women and femme presenting people. I haven't had too much trouble, but my dog is also huge and intimidating if you don't know him so I feel like that gets people to give me a wide berth.

@bandarbo I agree. I have an Anatolian shepherd mix who is about 100 pounds, while I’m about 5’3 and a fairly petite woman and always get “Who’s walking who?” While my fiancé just gets “Wow, big handsome dog.”

Thankfully people usually give us a wide berth too. If they seem scared of my dog, I allow it and don’t correct them lol. I’m cool if no one wants to pet my dog while out and about.

@mming I have a disabled chihuahua that my dad and I will take turns carrying throughout walks so that she can still get outings. We get a “hAhAhA wHoS wAlKiNg WhO??!?” every single damn time. It doesn’t even make sense in my context!!

@mcpugh 100% no one bothers my partner when he has the dogs, but even in his neon yellow "stay back, in training" vest people always bother me and my chow/Aussie/acd who doesn't like being closed in on by people in a direct way. Every time. Even more so with my young adult Pyrenees mix who is very people and dog friendly like no, in training means we are working.

@mcpugh There is something inside of some men that when they see a woman walking a large dog, especially a breed that can be dubbed “tough or dangerous” they just have to comment, intervene and insert an opinion. It’s wild. I have 2 German Shepherds and regularly choose to walk them together because I am more likely to be left alone if I have them both with me even though they are more reactive together and can amp each other up.

@christiantonyb My most favourite type of morons are the ones who mistake my greyhound for a doberman (happens when he has his very good hunting ears on) and will literally follow me trying to give me unsolicited advice. I’ve been berated for the high crimes of, “having a dangerous dog on a harness”, “letting my dog walk me” (a few feet ahead on a perfectly loose leash), and “definitely not being able to handle a dog like that, those dogs need an alpha!”.

Bless.

@booboo222 Gorgeous ears! What an alert hunter!

I didn't know the whole taping dobermans ears though because it is simply not done where I am.

It looks so strange. Dobermans have cute floppy ears and look gorgeous with them

I got the keep your dog on a short lead the other day to

@monk58 We have the same here, aesthetic alteration is illegal, which I am so glad about :) but Dobes in general are fairly rare, so most people's perceptions of them are from media/American shows where you see them with the cropped ears.

Honestly anyone who mistakes a greyhound for a doberman hasn't seen many dobermans "IRL" :p then again, once a lady yelled at me for how awfully skinny my "lab" was so, maybe people are just generally shit at guessing breeds, haha!

@christiantonyb Couldn’t agree more. My current roommate has a reactive dog. She is a new dog owner and is at a loss. I’m an old dog lady so have pitched in to help and have been doing a lot of work with the pup. We are doing great!

So the dog is a pit mix (sorry). I think her reactive behavior is mainly due to her previous abusive circumstances and my roommates poor socialization of this dog and less about her breed. I’ve lived with pits that were not reactive and great dogs.

Anyway, the pup is a big girl. Strong. Intimidating. It never fails that some male asshole wants to antagonize her. Doesn’t matter what I say as a warning, that i tell them to leave us alone, that she will absolutely bite them, we go way out of our way to avoid these situations.

I think some men see it as a threat to their ego. How could I have the audacity to be the caretaker for these giant dogs? I must be too weak and fragile- cause you know- ovaries. Also- grey hair.

I walk her with my dog, ironically a chow-blue heeler mix. My pup is the picture of stoicism. I’ve only seen her react a few times, and in the correct situations that a dog should react to. Danger to her or danger to her humans.

Anyway, once I was walking them both and a man on the other side of the street started yelling comments at me. I ignored. Then he started saying “im not afraid of your dogs”. I ignored.

Then he crossed the street and started approaching us. I warned him. He kept approaching. I put my hands up. “These dogs will absolutely bite you.”

He kept coming. So I stopped and put the dogs at heel. I knew what was coming even if he didn’t.

My roommates dog went bonkers. My dog just sat and watched him.

He kept coming.

I couldn’t believe it. With a 100 pound pit mix going bonkers I thought for sure he would leave.

When he was just close enough in range that the Leash wouldn’t pull my dog lept up with the agility of a heeler and the ferocity of a chow and sank her teeth into his forearm. Released. And then came back to my side as stoic as she was before.

I was as shocked as he was. I’ve never taught my pup to do anything of the sort.

Anyway, he turned around and left cursing me and my pups to high heaven.

Roommates dog was still bonkers. It took a while to calm her down.

So, I guess the point to this really long story is that chows are not to be fucked with. They are smarter than we are, and properly socialized are an incredible personal protection dog. They need lots and lots of socialization- and blue heelers too. Both breeds can become reactive and nippy.

The other point is that most men are trash and we need our dogs, reactive or not. Sometimes, in this shitty world, they are the only ones looking out for us. We just have to teach them how to do it right.

I think that scenario, while I wouldn’t go looking for it, was a really good lesson for my roommate’s dog. She learned right then and there that those are the right scenarios to show aggression.

Since then, I walk them together all the time. My pup is an excellent role model for her, and pup has started to take her cues from my pup. She seeks out direction from her and her high reactivity has reduced significantly. I think she doesn’t feel so alone anymore. But yes, men still hollar at me, all the time. They challenge my “right” and ability to be the caretaker of these dogs.

Asshole, you wouldn’t know what to do with one dog if it bit you on the ass. I can manage 2 giant dogs, one highly reactive, on a busy city street better than you can control your own mouth. Didn’t their moms teach them better?

I wouldn’t need these dogs to feel safe in my own neighborhood if men knew how to be better humans. Ironically, my dogs are better humans than most men.

Edit: yes, I’ve started to consider my roommates reactive dog as my dog. Taking personal responsibility for a dog is the only way to be successful curbing this type of behavior. You can’t just take responsibility for the behavior, you gotta claim the whole dog. That way, the dog knows you are on her team. You’re either 100% in or you’re out. I don’t know if my roommate has much interest in the pup, tbh. And my pup loves her, they love each other, and I’m just an old dog lady. I’ll take whatever dog needs me, warts and all.

@christiantonyb Yeah not going to lie it's absolutely ridiculous. My husky/doberman mix is the size of a wolf and wears a yellow training lead cover. We're working on his reactivity and he's come along massively (only whimpers when he sees dogs now instead of barking and jumping). A lot of men around here are terrified of him and cross the road if they see him coming which is kind of nice, but there's always that type that INSIST on walking as close as possible with their yapping pocket dogs. Thankfully if a dog barks at him he loses all interest and just keeps walking, but the amount of "my dog and I are not scared of your dog" is so stupid.

@mcpugh Yupppp I feel that, I’ve actually had to call the cops on some dude and his “friendly dog” who almost killed my dog. (Im a regular at this dog park and I’ve never seen him before) He wouldn’t stop following me around trying to strike up a convo and I asked him to recall his dog as his behavior was making me and MY DOG uncomfortable.

He told me he was fine that he’s always like that etc etc etc, and all of a suddenly he snaps and his dog is shaking my dog like a chew toy in his mouth.

it’s like just because I’m a young adult female I don’t know what I’m talking about when it comes to dogs? Or trying to assert a boundary for BOTH ME and MY DOG. Smh

@jamiekay Ugh! I hope your dog is ok after that. We had an incident recently where we couldn’t avoid this guy and his dog so I asked him to let us pass (couldn’t easily turn around) because my dog wasn’t friendly, and was clearly afraid of his massive malamute. He kept coming at us and it was obvious that his dog had no training and was not socialized enough to be approaching another dog. I picked my 50 lb dog up to avoid my dog having a reaction or possibly getting into a fight, and this man child laughed at me. All the while his dog was trying to get to us, all 100 plus pounds of him. Ridiculous

Back