Having trouble finding working e collar level

pamelamarie89

I got a mini educator for my frenchie and I’m slowly trying to find his working level. I haven’t seen a reaction out of him and I’ve been as high as 25. I worry about going any higher because I don’t want to traumatize him. I hear everyone else talking about being at level 3, 4, 5 and maybe as high as 7 or 8. I thought the tightness might be an issue but I can barely get 2 fingers under the collar (per the instructions). It comes with a test light and I confirmed it worked. Are my numbers misinformed? What am I doing wrong?

Edit: I found my “working level” to be 9 when applied to my wrist.

Edit: FOUND IT! It was a tightness problem. I cinched it down just a bit more and now he responds to a 6. Thanks all!!!

@pamelamarie89
It comes with a test light and I confirmed it worked.

You confirmed that the light worked or did you confirm that the light and the stim works?

I'd put the collar on your wrist and see if, when you hit the button and the light goes on, you actually feel anything.

Also the reaction you're looking for is very subtle in some dogs. It may be a brief ear flick.

I'd be doing this in a place that you won't ever train in again, to avoid any bad fall out.

@davecb The test light touches both contacts and lights up when the stimulation is activated. A way to test that it’s working without having to try it on yourself. Thanks for the tip!

@pamelamarie89 make sure the prongs are touching skin. I had to shave part of my husky's neck just to make sure the prongs made contact. Originally no response to any level. Now he responds to a 3

@pamelamarie89 Honestly same exact problem here with a very different breed. I’ve gone up to 60 and seen zero response. Luckily my dog is super sensitive to the vibration so I’ve just been using it. I have a long coated dog (and the 1” contacts) so I continue to wonder if it just isn’t contacting her skin right but surely it’s got to be doing something!

@pamelamarie89 I know you said you found it but a suggestion is getting one of the bungee ecollar straps, I've found those amazing for keeping the right contact and not feeling like you're choking the dog.

@pamelamarie89 Glad it’s fixed but to add to this. I was told you should be able to get one finger under one of the prongs, not both… that’s the tightness.

Also it’s better to test on your own neck, you might need a 9 to feel it on your wrist but lower on your neck.

My dogs level is dependent on distraction level … 10 for normal commands … I’ve seen her pointing at squirrels and shaking with excitement … she will ‘eat’ a 40 stim like it’s nothing, no bark just a neck twitch.