Has positive reinforcement for leash reactivity actually worked for anyone?

@lunabeam Yes, we can now walk by almost all dogs within just a few feet, and no reaction, maybe hackles going up a little. She still has the occasional arch enemy where we need more space, happens only maybe once or twice per year.

@lunabeam Like others have mentioned, you are probably getting too close to other dogs for the training to work.

My dog is somewhere between fear and frustration reactive (depends on the dog) and we've made a lot of improvement with positive reinforcement methods over the last year. I've seen her in the past react to dogs more than 100 feet away.

The other day, we walked past a dog like 10 feet away—I walked backwards (easier to keep her attention) and kept her busy eating a handful of high value treats.

So we've definitely made progress. The hardest part for me was understanding what to do in different situations. If we're far from other dogs, we can practice watching them and looking back at me for cookies. But if we're closer, I have to keep her more engaged by doing something like asking for a bunch of hand touches.

@lunabeam I really like Beckman Dog Training videos on YouTube. I have a rescue Doberman and although I do positive reinforcement training with her.. she not the type of breed I can not be strict with….she’s strong..all muscle and alpha female. Can’t play around. She turning 1 in a few days and her reactivity IS Better but I think I need to bite the bullet and pay for board and training

@lunabeam I started off using only R+ methods with my reactive dog, and we made basically zero progress for a year, even with a trainer. I eventually started using all 4 quadrants of operant conditioning to work on her reactivity and have made significant progress since then, and my dog is very much enjoying getting to see more and more of the world.

I’m clearly not skilled enough to accomplish my goals with only positive reinforcement. I wish I were better at it. But I decided I’d rather learn to communicate effectively with my anxious girl so I can teach her to deal with her stress, instead of sheltering her from the world for 1/3 (or more) of the precious years I have with her.

@lunabeam Uh, I guess it worked for us!

It's not a 100% recovery yet, but we've been working with him for 7-ish months now and we've gone from "loses his goddamn mind if there's a dog across the road" to "is maybe a bit too interested in the other dog but will keep walking and coming for treats, doesn't bark" with most dogs (larger dogs and other reactive dogs are more challenging but we're getting there).

He's also a frustrated greeter, fwiw. Though I think there's some anxiety in there, especially with larger dogs.

@lunabeam It has always worked to some degree. For one dog I adopted (the first reactive dog I'd trained) everything worked like a charm.

I suspect that she was more situationally reactive from bad experiences in the city shelter and had adapted a defensive habit. It took a few months of really struggling with reactivity, but she actually became very dog social within the first year I had her and she went on to foster almost a hundred puppies.

It's her fault that I took chances on other reactive dogs :) They've all been able to make some degree of progress and become solid citizens with a couple dog-friends, but none as dog social as the first.

*are you working with a trainer who can observe how you're managing those interactions? That sort of reactivity can become a habit.

@lunabeam My frustrated greeter and I have made a lot of progress in the last 8 months. Some things that worked for us: high value treats when we were going somewhere with other dogs around, and not enforcing eye contact with me or sitting while another dog passed. He's a Shepherd and while not defensive he definitely likes to know what's happening around us, and I think trying to make him look at me and concentrate while another dog walked past was way harder for him then getting a hand target with a treat right in his nose.

Now I'd say 75% of dogs or more he will just watch as we pass each other, and not bark or react. I use treat lures sometimes but not every time (ie if we're at a crowded park it's not really practical.)

Best wishes!