Has anyone done B.A.T. 2.0 with their reactive dog? How did it work out?

iconforhire

I am currently reading Behaviour Adjustment Training 2.0 by Grisha Stewart and it's a damn interesting read. I do wonder how effective is a BAT setup (I'm planning to start setups as I finish the book) and if repeating BAT setups without the help of a trainer helped your dog - have you seen resolution of reactivity with this method?

My 11 month old puppy Kaya has done tremendous progress in the past 6 months regarding her reactivity - simply relying on counterconditioning. However we have a long way to go, and it looks like BAT would offer her the social skills to interact with triggers in a better manner.

Would love to hear how it worked out for people & dogs that went through it, if it was more effective than good old counterconditioning and maybe any advice you'd have before starting BAT 2.0 sessions.

Thank you ❤️

@iconforhire Check out The Toby Project on Instagram. They’re also on TikTok. She does a ton of BAT set-ups with her reactive dog.

I would loooove to do some BAT 2.0 but I don’t really have anyone to do the set-ups with. Since we have a good handle on my dog’s reactivity, I can’t justify paying for private sessions with a trainer just to use their dog to do BAT set-ups.

@iconforhire I've not done controlled BAT setups, but I do find reactive dogs do much better on a longline and with handlers with sound leash skills around triggers. When they're able to move towards or away from the trigger on their own terms and the environment is conducive to exploration, they quickly pick up healthier behaviours. I am doing "real world setups" using safe naturally occurring triggers at distance with one of mine at the moment and we are at the point where at about 10ft he will notice dogs (his trigger) and put his head back down to sniff as opposed to growling, barking, and lunging at 20ft+. A couple weeks ago a dog slipped its leash and ran over to say hi; mine was shocked and had a grumble, but they had a small greeting and then he took himself away to sniff.

I 100% recommend giving it a go.