Harness

tonych

Hello,

Does anyone have any recommendations for secure harnesses? My dog is particularly good at escaping her harness under duress so I'm looking for a permanent solution. I have the Julius K9 and a longer harness with 3 clips but the Julius K9 is too easy for her to slip out of and the longer 4 clip harness is too big so I will probably sell it on.

I have been looking at the ruffwear flagline harness and the ezy dog x link harness. Has anyone tried these? Did they work for your dog?

Edit: link to harnesses mentioned

Current Julius K9 harness: https://www.google.com/search?clien...AB&biw=360&bih=651&dpr=3#imgrc=osHDBktwXV126M

4 clip harness:
https://www.google.com/aclk?sa=l&ai...hUKEwjLgvS4zt6DAxV4slYBHe16DtAQww8Itgw&adurl=

@tonych I use a carabiner to attach the harness to my dog's martingale collar. He's a leash puller more than an escape artist but he's a big boy so I did it for more in the event that the fabric attaching the D-ring to the harness fails. How is your dog escaping the harness?

@justcoolforyou She usually thrashes around a bit and then is out. But I think she must draw her elbows in so the underbelly strap goes over her legs. I've tried tightening it but she seems to be able to do it no matter what. Which is why I'm wanting to go for one that secures past the ribcage. (I hope that makes sense)

@tonych I use the RuffWear Flagline harness with my 100lbs+ golden, he's pretty good at thrashing around if he just has a collar (backs out) and if he has a head halter (he's wrecked three so far). I love the Flagline because it clips in two spots under his belly and then in the front, and each strap is adjustable. It's pretty tight on there and no matter how much he lunges/backs up it hasn't budged at all.

@tonych Yeah, that julius harness is pretty easy to escape from, and they are for all intents and purposes... well, just shitty.

H harnesses are harder to escape from (especially if they are well-fitted). If you want to be absolutely sure, you'd use a three strap h harness, like ruffwear flagline that somebody else has recommended in the comments. If that is too expensive, you can combine a regular h harness with a collar that also attaches to the leash with a safety clip. Something like this.

That 4 clip harness you have should be almost impossible to escape from, if it's sized properly. I'd suggest you look up local groups and check if there's someone making custom to measure harnesses. I come from a small country (much smaller than New Zealand) and we have someone making them - I'm sure you also have someone local.

@tonych Try Baumutt. The front clip has a martingale feature that causes the front strap to tighten when the dog pulls. This makes it really difficult for a dog to slip out. It tightens around the chest, so it doesn’t choke your dog or cause any neck issues.

@tonych I’m not sure where you live, but a pet store near me sells Perfect Fit harnesses. Each component is chosen by how it fits your dog which is good for dogs who don’t fit generic harnesses well.

@robinrocks I too recommend a perfect fit harness. Very good for odd shaped dogs and you can get the fit perfect with no wriggle room but the harness is nicely padded

@tonych I use ruffwear flatline harness. I would also recommend a safety clip that connects from harness to collar so if a failure occurs on either the leash is still attached to the dog.

Back