Hard lump in her belly

concord1968

I have a 2 year old dachshund that gave birth today to 4 beautiful babies. Everything is going well, she is calm now and babies have been nursing and sleeping. However I’ve noticed that there is a hard lump in her stomach still. It comes and goes, sometimes I can feel it when she’s laying down or standing up but sometimes I can’t. XRay from a week ago showed 4 puppies so I don’t think there is another. Any ideas? I couldn’t find much on the internet. Thanks!

@concord1968 Did you account for all 4 placentas?

It may be stool. I thought that my mini schnauzer had a retained placenta and it turned out what I was feeling was just her intestines. After giving birth to six babies and not eating all day during labor her belly was so empty that I could feel stool in there.

@concord1968 Did you confirm the number of pups via X-ray? If not there could be one left, one that may have died in utero, those seem to be harder for them to deliver than the live ones, especially if they’re the last pups. Take her to the vet and see if they can palate her abdomen to feel it. If it’s a pup(or placenta) they can give her a shot of oxytocin to try to help things along.

Back