Had my first Karen today, feeling discouraged…

@dgaunn4114 The owner specifically stated that the updated price was absurd for a groom, so the frustration was due to the increase but mostly for how much we charge in general. But I get where you’re comin’ from.

@svjoyner Haha well that's just stupid though, to say 150$ is absurd for a groom of a big dog with a neglected coat. As you said- you won't have to deal with them again and thank goodness for that! 😁

@svjoyner I might give a very rough estimate "per breed" but I would always add the caveat that it depends on the condition of the dog and that may only be assessed in person. They can have the assessment on day of grooming or they can stop by another time, but no way no how would any firm pricing be quoted without seeing the animal.

If this is auto-generated somehow then somebody needs to address the fine print.

I know that this is out of your hands, and I know it must be infuriating.

Unfortunately it is also very common.

@svjoyner I had one once where a doodle came in for a bath and there was considerable matting on the bum/legs and the inner thighs were pelted. I knew I could get a 3 through it. The guy who brought her in was super sweet so the bather asked if I would take her… I had enough time for another dog, just a smaller one. I knew it would put me behind but idk for some reason I decided to do this favour.

The guy was so happy, we went over the haircut and he showed me pictures of teddy bear heads. Yep, no problem, the dog has great face hair for it.

I do a super cute haircut on this dog and it puts me an hour behind all day. Guy picks her up and loves it, thanks me profusely again. I show him there was a foxtail embedded under her thigh mats as well! I’m stressed about my day but satisfied with a job well done.

Later a woman calls and screams at a manager because I butchered her dog. How DARE we not call her and ask her? She did not want her dog shaved, etc… well, the file was under her husbands name, with only one phone number. Her husbands. We had no idea she even existed. Of course she immediately gets a refund. She still shows up several times over the next few days and parades this dog in front of various store managers for some reason, demanding they validate how ruined it is. No idea what she even wants.

No good deed goes unpunished. By the time that dog got an appointment a month from then it would’ve been a 7 or a 10. Should’ve let that happen I guess?

@xekuter Oh wow - I would not have been able to handle myself in this situation. First of all, maybe the wife and husband should’ve idk…communicated??? How the heck did she just expect you to magically KNOW what she wants despite the husband not disclosing that 😅😅 people are so weird

@svjoyner Also, if you're at 'smart, a dog with that many behavior issues is to be recommended to the vet now. We are not miracle workers and if there had been an incident it would come back as a high, because a dog that stressed should have been sent home.

@svjoyner People like this are why my boss is so on our asses about constantly documenting everything. ESPECIALLY with severely matted dogs.

This is one of those cases where you just find something you love to do and take your mind off it. I’ve had really rude clients and I have to constantly remind myself that they’re not worth the space in my mind that I’m letting them consume.

@david_c The weird thing is the owner was okay w/ shaving the matting out at check-in, totally fine w/ it! One of those “save what you can” type owners. Now all of a sudden it was an issue that we went short! I definitely should’ve snapped some pictures to show them at pick-up at least. Definitely gonna be documenting more consistently going forward.

@svjoyner First, fuck them. It's not your problem that the dog is a mess and WAY larger than they said. I own a dog grooming business am a groomer myself, I always ask if the number they gave me is one I can reach them at for any issues, secondly...who checked in the dog? If it's a new client, the groomer always goes over the dog to check for mats before we precede.

If you can't get a hold of them to talk about price change, mats, ect. Just leave it until you speak with them. If they give you a nasty review, at least you can honestly say that you hadn't groomed the dog and they were unreachable to talk about it.

@synergist I checked the dog in and informed the owner of the need to shave the dog. The owner was fine with shaving it out, but complained afterwards and acted as if it wasn’t communicated! It was infuriating to read cos I almost started gaslighting myself like “did I go over this w/ them? am I 100% sure I said that?”. I even addressed the dematting fees! We confirmed the number as well, and it went straight to voicemail.

The mistake I made was not double checking the base price for the dog, and making sure the price fit his size. I felt awful about it, and still do. I understand her frustration, but damn. Shit hurts to read.

@svjoyner Of course it hurts to read, but again...just don't even touch the dog next time until you get confirmation. They'll be pissed about that too, but it's better to CYA than have them make up a bullshit story. I triple check with the owners about shaving. "You do realize that your dog will be naked, correct? The price will be $$-$$$," I have had WAY too many come in and claim that that's not their dog...as the dog is going batshit to get to them.

I have a horrible review on my google page that I CAN NOT seem to get deleted, they had the same name as mine, but it was in Canada and I'm in the US. She complained that she would never know how good our grooming was because we weren't taking new clients. It's odd because we aren't taking new ones, but again it's a whole different country. Then claimed they knew someone who's dog had been injured, so they had dodged a bullet.

People are freaks and don't realize just how difficult this job is. If they can get a 100lb dog groomed for $60 ANYWHERE, let them give it a try. Your manager should pay you the difference, I know I'd pay on of my groomers for dealing with that crap.

@svjoyner I have a schnoodle, and he’s tiny. So are most of them. But of course, if you mix a giant or standard schnauzer with a standard poodle, you’re gonna get a big dog. I think it’s a bit disingenuous of the owner to not let you know their dog was large before the groom. They’d know full well you’d assume their dog was small; big schnoodles are very rare from what I’ve seen. I’m sorry this happened to you!! People really do treat groomers poorly and you all deserve so much better.

@tiyashrivasthav Yeah - this was also my bad for not being educated on breeds cos I didn’t really know what to expect when I saw “schnoodle”! Hell, I can’t keep up with all these oodles haha. I feel bad they thought the groom would be $61 for him but c’mon, corporate is cheap but not that cheap! 😅

@svjoyner Oh I don’t know. I think the onus is on the owner too. I usually write out toy poodle x schnauzer in those situations because there are so many crossbreeds, and schnoodles aren’t one of the well-known ones. Don’t be too hard on yourself, getting their dog groomed is their responsibility. Too often I feel like people just palm off the entire thing onto you guys and take no responsibility whatsoever. ETA: and by that I mean the onus is on them to ensure you have full info.

@svjoyner Cosmetologist here- I know I don’t belong lol 😂 but this is why I’m my very similar industry we take before and after pictures. Document to show your work, but more importantly to back yourself up as insurance.

@svjoyner i don’t think that’s a karen. that’s someone who got pissed off after learning that she was not paying the $61 she thought she was after leaving. would you not get pissed after hearing “btw it’s actually $140” due to your own mistake? cmon. not every client/customer complaint is a karen.

@starcluster Uhh expecting a dog that size to be 60$ is insane. I don’t usually use the term Karen myself but getting free shit and then writing a review complaining is completely unreasonable. Never mind lying in the review saying the dog got an ear infection (and that it was in perfect condition…)

@starcluster We completely understood her concerns regarding the price. However, her lying on social media saying we gave her dog an ear infection and that we’re just “lazy” because we decided to take the dog short due to its matting? That’s Karen behavior.

My boss gifted her the tools because we were so apologetic about the situation. The lady acted like we REFUSED the dog when we still wanted to finish the groom, just at a much higher price than anticipated.

Back