GSD puppy

daniel55

Hello everyone. Hope you all are having a great day. I have a question I need to ask yall. Kindly take some time out of your day to respond with your dog experience. The thing is I recently got a GSD puppy. Very cute and fluffy he has adjusted well to my home and after the first two days he has been eating well too. Now the thing is he is 5 weeks old as of today, and ive been trying to make him learn his name but he just doesn't. I researched on the topic on Yt and everyone there daid use a leash so that he doesn't get distracted but i visited a vet and the bet said that he's too small for a leash. I even tried doing it without leash, rewarding him but he's too interested in random stuff and cannot stay where i ask him to and listen to me. Kindly share your advice on the matter. Warm regards

@daniel55 5 weeks old! Oh my goodness, usually puppies should stay with their mom until at least 8 weeks old, longer is even better! They learn a LOT from 5-8 weeks from mom. I wouldn't be too worried about the puppy not learning his name, although a great way to do that is say his name and as soon as he looks at you, say "yes!" and give him a treat. He'll learn quickly, he's a smartie!

@kristenk89 ive been trying this. sometimes it works. sometimes it doesn't. i'm hoping with time it will get perfect. he is still a baby which i keep forgetting so cant really except him to learn everything in a day

@daniel55 5wks is too young to teach them commands. I say 8-9wks is when you want to start training....Youttube "Recall command dog training" this is what you are looking for... Treats will be your best friend when training... I would start off training with an easy command like "sit" to give you confidence and so your pup can make a connection of training and treats. I would also learn/train "watch me/focus" this will help dogs with focusing on you

@curiousponderer yes he knows the situation command now. also yes many ppl have told me that its gonna take him some time to learn the commands and its to young to be training him. i let him enjoy. doing some potty training tho which cz of his big ass crate is not working a bit. frustrating

@daniel55 Potty training. yes, smaller crate would help. Dogs do not potty where they sleep unless there is no other option. Also, what I do is have the pup on a leash in the house. So the pup is right by you at all times. As soon as you see him sniff, circle, attempt to pee/poop run outside with the pup. Take him to the SAME spot EVERY time. Give him a treat, praise him. This will be his "restroom" and the yard will be clean.... I hope this makes sense

@curiousponderer inwas doing this and it was working as I had a smaller crate too but now that the bigger crate (its too big for him) is here he just does his business inside it. im trying but its not really happening right now. previously i used to wake him up in the morning and take outside for potty but today when i woke up he had already done the deed, so i kust fed him and didn't take him out or anything. however after an hour when i came home after doing some chores he had done it again inside the crate so it was very frustrating. he had learnt alot in the smaller crate but now its like im starting from zero again

@daniel55 Do you still have the small crate? Or is there something in your house you can put in the bigger crate to make it smaller?. Try and figure out his routine. If he is potting at night . wake up 2 times and take him outside to potty. No water a couple of hrs before his bedtime. Will help. Never leave the house without taking him out to potty. Even if he went to potty 30mins prior... Just make sure to praise him, give him a special treat. He will learn.

@daniel55 Is he treat motivated? I would say his name while you're close to him holding a treat between your eyes, so he knows to make somewhat 'eye contact' when you say his name.