Golden x Berner Mix

justanoldfeller

Hi there,

We have a majestic long double coat girl (Golden x Berner). I think we got lied to and may have some collie in her as well. Is it common for these dog types to get a summer cut? Reasons for the cut

1) keep her cooler in the summer months

2) Able to find ticks easier. We enjoy camping and hikes in the summer - but its nearly impossible to find ticks on her considering her thick coat. Its both for her and us. Getting into a 2-person tent after a day of her frolicking in the woods isn't an ideal situation.

@justanoldfeller I personally wouldn't recommend shaving her or taking length off of her coat. She will be hotter and at risk for sunburn. Double coated breeds like bernese, goldens, and collies shouldn't be shaved. If you mean a trim up of her featherings, that would be fine.

@justanoldfeller I'd just keep her trimmed in a silhouette/outline style trim but more importantly, keep her undercoat brushed out. A healthy coat will protect her from the sun so as long as she doesn't have extra fluff in there, she'll be fine.

For ticks, just keep her on a preventative. Bravecto is a really good one, or another oral-type medication rather than a topical one which aren't always effective. When ticks try to latch on, they'll die and then fall off so basically not something you even have to worry about if she's on something for it.

@livelifeliving33 And after hiking/camping trips take her to a self grooming shop and use a high velocity dryer (or if you own a high velocity dryer-it may be helpful getting that undercoat out to keep her cooler!) to blow dry to her skin to make sure you don’t see any ticks.

@justanoldfeller The undercoat is what will make her hot, not the top coat. Blow or brush out undercoat and you'll keep her cool. Shaving will likely make her hotter as she won't have the fur protecting her skin and will be at risk of sunburn, and it may not ever grow back, and if it does will likely be changed forever

@justanoldfeller you could get a blower for your own house, blow her coat out and check for ticks that way

i word it as if you're taking the insulation out of your house, its either gonna be really hot or really cold. when you shave a double coated dog you're shaving their protection and insulation. when they're inside at home its cool then when they go outside in the heat the cool air from inside is still trapped in their undercoat same for cold weather. so if they get shaved they don't really need to be outside for long periods of time.

@justanoldfeller Every hair cut depends on the the lifestyle of the home. Personally, and I'm sure most groomers would agree, I don't like shaving double coated breeds. But again, depends on the lifestyle.

If shaving your dog makes yours and your dog's life easier then it's your choice. I shave double coats after making sure owners are aware that it can cause the coat to not grow back the same. It also may not affect the coat at all. It's a risk I make sure the owner is aware of and let them decide from there. There's also not a sure fire way of determining if it even will affect the coat. Only way to find out is to do it lol

And I shave shave double coats often. I have no issues doing it as long as the owner knows the risks
  • The coat may not grow back correctly
  • The dog will still shed, just smaller hairs
  • Sun burn is a possibility so keep the dog out of prolonged exposure
  • Internal temp may change in different weathers, just pay attention to your dog. If they're too hot bring them in, too cold cover them up
  • It could exacerbate pre-existing skin issues
  • Shave shock is real but not common. Your dog may be sensitive to touch and may be itchy at first.
It will not effect the over all health of your pet if you pay attention to them. If you're really worried try shaving out the undercarriage first. From belly to armpits. That way if it doesn't grow back right or you don't like it it's not super visual.

In my experience 70% of double coats don't grow back the same. 5% have other issues with it. 25% it's perfectly fine and grows back nicely.

Your monkey, your circus 😊

Also, "Summer Cut" means nothing to groomers unless you've discussed specifically what YOU like during the summer. And even then that means you have a not summer cut

Back